Duckling Temp Clarity

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have six Khaki Campbell ducklings that turned a week old on Tuesday 4/6/21. They all seem healthy and are growing at a rapid pace, but they act like they’re hot all the time? I have a heat plate in their brooder but they only sleep on top of it or beside it. They’re in a bathroom that stays between 72-80 degrees, and the thermometer in the brooder ranges from 80-85. They’re about to move to my sun porch (our outdoor temps are 75-85). Should I move the plate with them? I also have a space heater I can place near them for nighttime.

They sleep in a pile, but they don’t really peep unless I talk to them or feed them.

sounds like you are lucky enough they are producing enough of their own body heat so don't need to heat much. On the porch there might be more wind which can cause more of a cooling effect than in a protected indoor location so they might need a bit more heat outdoors, they might not.
I'd give them some heat the first night and see how they behave and then take it from there

Thanks, everyone! I just worry about them getting too hot. The porch is glassed in, so it stays similar to the house temperature wise a maybe five or so degrees cooler. Their new brooder that I just built has two rooms and a little tunnel, so keeping one side warm should be easy. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom