Duckling unable to use foot

meyerc06

Songster
May 25, 2020
Stillwater, New Jersey
Hello all! I've posted about my little Annie before - she's now 7 weeks old. She has always been a bit of a runt and from very early on was walking less and sitting more than her sisters and brother. I've been supplementing her for the last 2/3 weeks with vitamin B-Complex, in addition to adding some niacin to their drinking water (they have been on a duck-formulated diet from the beginning), because I thought it might be a niacin deficiency. She's been walking weird for a while, tucking her tail and high-stepping, which again I attributed to a possible niacin issue. Today, though, I noticed her having a problem getting out of their mini-pond, and when she walked she tripped over one of her feet and then just layed there. I inspected the foot and it seemed to be almost limp. She would spread the toes and press against me with the left foot, but just the opposite with her right foot. Anyone have any ideas about what this could be, or what I can do to help her? Thank you so much in advance!!

Posting some pictures would be a good idea and a video of her walking? To post a video you’ll need to put it on Vimeo or you tube hopefully we can help you.

Thank you
19C2FBD1-3E04-44F2-BD87-7E392CA0D2A8.jpeg
EE783A2E-8A81-4FDB-B89B-E1BE1561E480.jpeg
8E2A3BB9-4208-4B70-AFBE-EE1B0E509880.jpeg
! Here are a few photos, and I’m working on uploading a video... will send the link as soon as it’s ready. Hopefully I can figure it out! 😬

This has been going on since hatch? What brand of b complex are you giving and how much and how? Is that corn your feeding? I’d cut out the corn for now.

It’s been going on at least since they were 2 weeks old, but I think probably much earlier. I just unfortunately didn’t really know to look for it since these are our first ducks.

I’m using Duravet High Level B-Complex and giving her 1ml a day over mealworms (I tried the syringe but felt like more was getting on me and her belly than in her beak). I mix in some water and then over do it on the dosage (an extra half ml) to account for any that she shoots out the sides of her beak. It’s tough because she reallllly hates the way it tastes!

The food isn’t corn, but actually Purina Duck pellets. They were on duck starter crumbles before this but I switched because I wanted to lower the protein without throwing off the vitamin balance.

Watching her, it seems like the “lame” foot switches sides. She just doesn’t use both feet correctly but it does seem like she is able to move them at times. Do you think it’s related to niacin?

It’s been going on at least since they were 2 weeks old, but I think probably much earlier. I just unfortunately didn’t really know to look for it since these are our first ducks.

I’m using Duravet High Level B-Complex and giving her 1ml a day over mealworms (I tried the syringe but felt like more was getting on me and her belly than in her beak). I mix in some water and then over do it on the dosage (an extra half ml) to account for any that she shoots out the sides of her beak. It’s tough because she reallllly hates the way it tastes!

The food isn’t corn, but actually Purina Duck pellets. They were on duck starter crumbles before this but I switched because I wanted to lower the protein without throwing off the vitamin balance.

Here is the Niacin powder that I’m using in their water - 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon
5738BD2E-F67D-4263-A870-28A0AF41B09E.jpeg

I am not sure if this is a niacin deficiency especially since it’s been 2-3 weeks and your not noticing any improvement. I wonder if it’s a birth defect? Did you hatch this duck? I wouldn’t quit the b complex but is it possible you can take this duck to a vet for an examine? @Isaac 0 any ideas?

I am not sure if this is a niacin deficiency especially since it’s been 2-3 weeks and your not noticing any improvement. I wonder if it’s a birth defect? Did you hatch this duck? I wouldn’t quit the b complex but is it possible you can take this duck to a vet for an examine? @Isaac 0 any ideas?

I didn’t hatch these guys - they were from Meyer Hatchery. I have to look further into findomg a vet in our area - I know that we don’t have any avian vets nearby and our local vets unfortunately don’t see “livestock”.

Back
Top Bottom