Duckling unable to walk and acting funny

Featherss

Chirping
Sep 11, 2021
image.jpg

Today when feeding I noticed one of our ducklings acting weirdly with the mother and other duckings pretty far away. when I picked it up٫ it looked sick so I brought it inside to give electrolytes and to further inspect. It can not get its feet under it and just looks unwell over all. It drank some electrolyte water but it doesn't seem to have made improvement yet. It is less than a week old٫ and was fine yesterday. Poop is like water. what could this be and how could I help?
image.jpg

I'm sad for you and your duckling. In that posture, it seems to me it has a neurological problem. That might be congenital or it might be a hemorrhage from hatching trauma. I don't think you can do anything but keep it warm quiet and calm. Electrolyte solution if it wants to drink. Tender loving care is always the best

I know there is something you can put around chick legs to help splays, but thats different, and it looks bad. so sorry! best wishes for duckling

I know this is a few months late, but when our duckling did this (having seizures around 2 weeks old) we took a shallow bowl and broke a niacin capsule and put a bit of the powder in it for him to drink. For encouragement, we crushed a dried meal worm in it, too. We held him and made sure he drank it all (about a tablespoon, I'd guess). We did this about 3 times over the span of a few hours. He had two more seizures but then was fully recovered. The niacin was what he needed. Now we make sure to mix in niacin once a week for our older ducks and make sure the ducklings get some in their water, too

Hope this helps whoever is reading this.

Back
Top Bottom