shepherdsmeadow

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hello! I have a question about one of my newly hatched ducklings. She was a late hatch (32 days for a buff duck!) and she seems healthy, happy and strong except her right wing seems a bit deformed. Its beginning to stick out a little bit and there isn't fluff forming over the part that seems deformed. I'm wondering if this is the precursor to angel wing and if she'd do well to have it tape up for a bit. I tried to take photos of it, see below. Any advice would be so appreciated! Lauren

Attachments

• IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 21
I've never seen angel wing on one so young. Possibly a deformity but shouldn't cause any problems other than cosmetic. I have Buffs and they have never offered to fly and that would be the only reason she could have a problem is flying.
Now if the wing starts to really stick out you could try wrapping to try and get it to lay flat while growing you'd have to check often though to make sure it is doing well while wrapped. And no swimming. Unless unwrapped. Wrapping one so small will be the biggest thing making sure it's snug but not cutting off circulation. Making sure the wing is laying flat in the wrapping. Other suggestions would be to wait but that is up to you.
Precious little duckling
:welcome

I can't tell from the photo (on a cell phone) and haven't raised enough ducks to have good (bad, in this case) first hand experience to rely on regarding Angel Wing, but its something I've read up on quite a lot, and have seen plenty of internet pictures from dozens of sources.

My first question, after all that reading, is "What are you feeding the ducks???" and my second question is "Is the runt getting "special treatment" re: feed???"

@Miss Lydia thank you so much for that information!! So appreciated, wow! And @U_Stormcrow I am feeding them all the same: Manna Pro duck starter 22% protein. The little gal came out of her egg with this deformity so its hard for me to attribute it to the feed. Any advice appreciated though! Its only my 2nd year raising ducklings : )

Back
Top Bottom