Duckling with a closed eye

Skipspin

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Florida
My daughter had someone hatch our duck eggs for us since our duck won't sit and our broody hens have apparently drawn the line and won't sit on the duck eggs like we had hoped.

Anyway, she brought home four yesterday (we traded for the hatch by letting them keep the rest). This morning one has an eye that is closed. Not swollen and the duckling seems to be normal otherwise.

I'm leaning toward some human antibiotic eye drops (because I have them) and a warm cloth to gently get it open Any other BTDT suggestions. I have a local feed store that has a pretty good selection but if I go I have to pack up 4 kids to do it.... so if there's something to try first that would be great.

Thanks!

I don't know if antibiotics are needed at this point.

Does the duckling have a way to dunk its little head into water? They need this. Otherwise there is a risk of infections of the head. So give the wee one a short bath in warm (85 to 90F) water, so it can really wash up. Just deep enough to hit the tops of its legs.

Then be sure it goes into a clean, warm dry brooder, and starts to preen right away. If no preening, dry baby off with a dry washcloth.

Yes, they usually have water to dunk in, but they dumped it (the shavings soaked it up) overnight, and who knows when exactly. My daughter will hate bringing them in from the chick/duckling nursery for a warm bath I'm sure.
wink.png
She just told me it opened, so we are just going to watch it after the bath.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom