Duckling with a little drool/mucus

Sep 19, 2020
Hello all,
Ugh! All was well yesterday until I was changing their towels for the night. I picked one of my ducklings up to put her in a box with the other ones whilst I cleaned their cage and she released a line of dool/mucas(it came from her mouth though). I have heard about chicken regurgitating food if they just ate and have a full crop and you squeeze them, like to pick them up. Could that be what’s happening, she was eating before then? She hasn’t done the prolonged drinking motion at all today at least. When I first got them a couple days ago they were on shavings(now they on in towels) and she seemed to actually be trying to glup one down. I didn’t see her actually ingest any for sure but she did start doing this prolonged drinking motion. She would tilt her head back and swallow normally but it would go on for a couple minutes. She did this a couple times that day. She didn’t do it yesterday(when she had the drool) or this morning though. She did also drool a bit that day as well, just twice and it was said to me that could be a symptom of having something stuck in her throat. She is just as active as the other ones, eats, drinks, and does zooms around the cage. It may also be because she doesn’t like to clean her nares. I only saw her put her bill in up to her nares and flush them once yesterday unlike the other ducklings you clean them a lot. She does drink a good amount of water though. I am pretty sure I did see her flush her nares 2 days ago though. What do I do about the dool/mucas? What should I do about her nares? I did change to just plain water earlier today when I noticed her not flushing her nares as I was thinking maybe she didn’t like doing that with the elctrolyes even though the others didn’t mind at all. I posted this yesterday evening but it didn’t get a response so I’m posting it again. Thanks!

Hello all,
Ugh! All was well yesterday until I was changing their towels for the night. I picked one of my ducklings up to put her in a box with the other ones whilst I cleaned their cage and she released a line of dool/mucas(it came from her mouth though). I have heard about chicken regurgitating food if they just ate and have a full crop and you squeeze them, like to pick them up. Could that be what’s happening, she was eating before then? She hasn’t done the prolonged drinking motion at all today at least. When I first got them a couple days ago they were on shavings(now they on in towels) and she seemed to actually be trying to glup one down. I didn’t see her actually ingest any for sure but she did start doing this prolonged drinking motion. She would tilt her head back and swallow normally but it would go on for a couple minutes. She did this a couple times that day. She didn’t do it yesterday(when she had the drool) or this morning though. She did also drool a bit that day as well, just twice and it was said to me that could be a symptom of having something stuck in her throat. She is just as active as the other ones, eats, drinks, and does zooms around the cage. It may also be because she doesn’t like to clean her nares. I only saw her put her bill in up to her nares and flush them once yesterday unlike the other ducklings you clean them a lot. She does drink a good amount of water though. I am pretty sure I did see her flush her nares 2 days ago though. What do I do about the dool/mucas? What should I do about her nares? I did change to just plain water earlier today when I noticed her not flushing her nares as I was thinking maybe she didn’t like doing that with the elctrolyes even though the others didn’t mind at all. I posted this yesterday evening but it didn’t get a response so I’m posting it again. Thanks!
She didn’t do the drinking motion tester either, just the first day.

I had a duckling that was drooling after trying to eat some of the grass from the box it was shipped in. It was caught in his throat and i had to pull it out.
Oh okay. She doesn’t seem bothered at all besides the little drool yesterday evening. She runs around, eats, drinks normally. What should I do?

Hello all,

I hatch ducklings every year in my high school classroom. Yes, ducklings will regurgitate food/water if you squeeze a full crop by accident. My students have found that out the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom