Prognosis and advice for duckling with bill deformity

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
This duckling hatched about a week ago with a deformed bill. It has what looks like a permanent scab on top, doesn't have a nostril on one side, and I can't tell if it can use the other one. The bill seems to be tipped up a bit at the end too.

It eats and drinks but is not growing as fast as the others. I've been giving it an antibiotic since yesterday, since I thought it had pneumonia because it was breathing with its mouth open and I heard crackling noises. But now I'm second-guessing that because it doesn't act sick; it's quite perky.

I assume it's breathing with its mouth open because it doesn't have nares, but could the crackling noises be anything other than pneumonia? Is it possible for a duck to grow up and live breathing like that, or is it likely to go downhill? Is there anything special I should do to help it?

20240317_203042.jpg
20240317_203121.jpg
20240317_203124.jpg

it’s super cute . i think at least the one nare may open as it grows. One of my ducklings in the past looked like there were no nares at all but they gradually appeared.

looks good, all things considered. I'm not a duck person, but I guess you could treat it like a mild crossbeak, just watch to make sure it can eat and breath, and that it's siblings are nice. I would say it has an ok chance, especially if it is acting like the others.

looks good, all things considered. I'm not a duck person, but I guess you could treat it like a mild crossbeak, just watch to make sure it can eat and breath, and that it's siblings are nice. I would say it has an ok chance, especially if it is acting like the others.
Thank you. Yes, It seems happy and isn't getting picked on. The only difference is it says under the heat more often than the others and isn't growing as quickly.

Sweet little duckling. It may have a palate defect inside the bill as well as the visible deformity. A simple reason for it not growing as fast as the others might be that it is not getting as much food down. Keep an eye on its intake -- water as well as crumbles. But the little one may well grow and live normally with time. I have had two ducks with deformed bills -- both traumatic rather than congenital. They did well as adults feeding from deep pots and "catching' their peas in water in a deep saucer.

Back
Top Bottom