duckling with chicks

gagepowers

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
hi, i recently just got chicks and i decided it was a good idea to go and buy a duckling to go in the pen with them. they didn’t get a long at first but now they just keep their distance usually and the duck sits in between the feeder and drinker and doesn’t really want anything to do with the chicks. what can i do to help him? or what can i change?

hi, i recently just got chicks and i decided it was a good idea to go and buy a duckling to go in the pen with them. they didn’t get a long at first but now they just keep their distance usually and the duck sits in between the feeder and drinker and doesn’t really want anything to do with the chicks. what can i do to help him? or what can i change?
It is supercritical that you get another friend for your duckling. Ducks are very social animals and it is recommended to get at least two, but five or six would be better for their mental health. The duckling won't be able to understand the baby chicks, and this will stress your duck out because they have no one to talk to. If your duck does end up imprinting on the chickens, there is the possibility that he will harm them later on accidentally, trying to mate with them. (Male and female ducks will do this, and it can be very dangerous to your chickens.)
My advice would be to find him a friend asap.

they didn’t get a long at first but now they just keep their distance usually and the duck sits in between the feeder and drinker and doesn’t really want anything to do with the chicks.
It's very common that ducks and chickens will mingle in the same area, but they don't seem to like hanging out together. Ducks stick with the duck flock, chickens stick with the chicken flock. (At least in my experience.)

Back
Top Bottom