duckling with crooked neck

Rachele anne

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
Hi I have a little duckling with a crooked neck it looks like it's off to one side it's almost a week old and the first two days it seemed normal then started looking crooked I think it may have hurt its self because it managed to get through the cage bars is there anything I could do

Last edited:
Yes, there are some things you can do. It may be an injury, and it may also be a nutrient deficiency. That does not mean you aren't doing everything right. It just means the little may have needs that are greater than standard. And you can do something about that.

Some BYC members recommend SuperB Complex vitamins. I would use the niacin (B3) amount in the vitamin as a guide, and add 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water. It won't, from anything I have read, harm the other duckling(s).

You could also add one tablespoon brewer's yeast per day per three ducklings to their food - it also provides B vitamins.

Once a week, a poultry vitamin with probiotics in their water.

Closely supervised time in a tub of water the same temperature as the brooder - at least 85 degrees F. These are baby waterfowl, and as long as they are watched every moment in case of trouble, five or ten minutes a couple of times a day in the water will help them develop. I read a scientific paper about this, and I have seen it in my own flock, and read many stories here to back that up.

Also, please read the stories of Bentley and Qwakers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

Last edited:
For chicken wry neck or star gazing vitamin E, B1 thiamine, and selenium (in eggs, tuna, salmon,) are very important. I know very little about ducks, but I'm sure the extra vitamins won't harm.

Yes, there are some things you can do.  It may be an injury, and it may also be a nutrient deficiency.  That does not mean you aren't doing everything right.  It just means the little may have needs that are greater than standard.  And you can do something about that.

Some BYC members recommend SuperB Complex vitamins.  I would use the niacin (B3) amount in the vitamin as a guide, and add 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water.  It won't, from anything I have read, harm the other duckling(s).

You could also add one tablespoon brewer's yeast per day per three ducklings to their food - it also provides B vitamins.

Once a week, a poultry vitamin with probiotics in their water.

Closely supervised time in a tub of water the same temperature as the brooder - at least 85 degrees F.  These are baby waterfowl, and as long as they are watched every moment in case of trouble, five or ten minutes a couple of times a day in the water will help them develop.  I read a scientific paper about this, and I have seen it in my own flock, and read many stories here to back that up.

Also, please read the stories of Bentley and Qwakers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title
I've been giving them all vitamins and electrolytes plus in their water ... I had to help them hatch I no your not supposed to but they were so week two of the 5 I have couldn't barely move to much so I gave them the vitamin water supplement and there awesome now

Last edited:
I've been giving them all vitamins and electrolytes plus in their water ... I had to help them hatch I no your not supposed to but they were so week two of the 5 I have couldn't barely move to much so I gave them the vitamin water supplement and there awesome now
With their history, I think the one with the crooked neck needs the extra B's and perhaps some other nutrients.

I don't want to scare you, but if the one with the crooked neck isn't eating and drinking it could be a serious infection.

-Kathy

I don't want to scare you, but if the one with the crooked neck isn't eating and drinking it could be a serious infection.

-Kathy
no I need all the help I can get... it's eating drinking and moving its neck in all directions and is very active

Back
Top Bottom