duckling with crooked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rachele anne, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]Hi I have a little duckling with a crooked neck it looks like it's off to one side it's almost a week old and the first two days it seemed normal then started looking crooked I think it may have hurt its self because it managed to get through the cage bars is there anything I could do

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    @Amiga

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, there are some things you can do. It may be an injury, and it may also be a nutrient deficiency. That does not mean you aren't doing everything right. It just means the little may have needs that are greater than standard. And you can do something about that.

Some BYC members recommend SuperB Complex vitamins. I would use the niacin (B3) amount in the vitamin as a guide, and add 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water. It won't, from anything I have read, harm the other duckling(s).

You could also add one tablespoon brewer's yeast per day per three ducklings to their food - it also provides B vitamins.

Once a week, a poultry vitamin with probiotics in their water.

Closely supervised time in a tub of water the same temperature as the brooder - at least 85 degrees F. These are baby waterfowl, and as long as they are watched every moment in case of trouble, five or ten minutes a couple of times a day in the water will help them develop. I read a scientific paper about this, and I have seen it in my own flock, and read many stories here to back that up.

Also, please read the stories of Bentley and Qwakers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

1 person likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For chicken wry neck or star gazing vitamin E, B1 thiamine, and selenium (in eggs, tuna, salmon,) are very important. I know very little about ducks, but I'm sure the extra vitamins won't harm.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    I've been giving them all vitamins and electrolytes plus in their water ... I had to help them hatch I no your not supposed to but they were so week two of the 5 I have couldn't barely move to much so I gave them the vitamin water supplement and there awesome now[​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With their history, I think the one with the crooked neck needs the extra B's and perhaps some other nutrients.

7. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    Where would I be able to get the vitamins

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't want to scare you, but if the one with the crooked neck isn't eating and drinking it could be a serious infection.

-Kathy

10. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    no I need all the help I can get... it's eating drinking and moving its neck in all directions and is very active

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by