Duckling with curled foot and twisted leg

Thank you for sharing your regimen. Is there a danger of overdosing the other B vitamins besides Niacin? I have Poultry Cell while waiting for the Nutri-Drench to arrive Are those interchangeable, or are they meant for different situations?
I have used both but not at the same time
I would go ahead and use it. I think @Wyorp Rock uses poultry cell ? I could be wrong but I think so and she may have more info

I have used both but not at the same time
I would go ahead and use it. I think @Wyorp Rock uses poultry cell ? I could be wrong but I think so and she may have more info
Excess vitamin B should be excreted in urine, so there's not a great concern of overdosing.

There is a difference between Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-Drench.
It would be a good idea to compare ingredients/vitamin/mineral content. Poultry Cell has more than PND does.

Excess vitamin B should be excreted in urine, so there's not a great concern of overdosing.

There is a difference between Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-Drench.
It would be a good idea to compare ingredients/vitamin/mineral content. Poultry Cell has more than PND does.
Unfortunately the Nutri-Drench doesn't seem to have any info available about the specific niacin content, but the quick delivery sounds like it would be better for treating health issues like this vs Poultry Cell sounding like it's more for maintenance or stress. Plus the Poultry Cell has iron to be careful of giving too much.

@New duck mommy 2021 How long would you recommend using the boot? The foot seems to be flat now without it, but I'm not sure if it could curl up again if it's too soon. And I also wouldn't want to keep using it too long to where it might cause an unusual gait.

Unfortunately the Nutri-Drench doesn't seem to have any info available about the specific niacin content, but the quick delivery sounds like it would be better for treating health issues like this vs Poultry Cell sounding like it's more for maintenance or stress. Plus the Poultry Cell has iron to be careful of giving too much.

@New duck mommy 2021 How long would you recommend using the boot? The foot seems to be flat now without it, but I'm not sure if it could curl up again if it's too soon. And I also wouldn't want to keep using it too long to where it might cause an unusual gait.
If the foot seems straight I would take it off and monitor
If you see it slightly curl then boot again for 2-3 days and check
I just had an angel wing in my goose and was told 2-3 weeks of wrap
At day 4 I had to change out her wrap and her wing seemed good so I left it off and watched it stayed perfect and angel wing was gone
That was weeks ago
If treated early usually it’s corrected easier

If the foot seems straight I would take it off and monitor
If you see it slightly curl then boot again for 2-3 days and check
I just had an angel wing in my goose and was told 2-3 weeks of wrap
At day 4 I had to change out her wrap and her wing seemed good so I left it off and watched it stayed perfect and angel wing was gone
That was weeks ago
If treated early usually it’s corrected easier
The foot did start curling again after a day, so back to the boot. 😔 And the bow-legged-ness actually seems to be getting worse somehow. But finally got the Nutridrench in. How much do you add to their water at night? Hopefully not the entire 4oz bottle for 1 gallon of water like it recommends. 😣

You can give Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell orally 1 ml daily per every 3 pounds which is written on the label. Those have some niacin, but if you get human B complex tablets you can crush 1/2 tablet and give it with water or food daily. It has all B’s and contains a higher dosage, but any excess would be excreted in the kidneys.

The foot did start curling again after a day, so back to the boot. 😔 And the bow-legged-ness actually seems to be getting worse somehow. But finally got the Nutridrench in. How much do you add to their water at night? Hopefully not the entire 4oz bottle for 1 gallon of water like it recommends. 😣
I use durvet vitamin B complex for leg issues
1ml orally through syringe or on a small treat so I know they get the dose
With or without leg issues I do nutritional yeast flakes 1tbs to 1 cup feed I do this till 10-12 weeks then no longer measuring I add it to the feed a few times a week
If there is a keg issue I go back to the 1tbs over 1 cup feed until duck has been normal 1-2 weeks
I myself don’t put it in the water

You can give Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell orally 1 ml daily per every 3 pounds which is written on the label. Those have some niacin, but if you get human B complex tablets you can crush 1/2 tablet and give it with water or food daily. It has all B’s and contains a higher dosage, but any excess would be excreted in the kidneys.
Does that mean that 1ml is the minimum dose? Or do I need to scale the dose down for the duckling's weight since it's obviously nowhere near 3 pounds? I haven't been able to find clarification about it.

I use durvet vitamin B complex for leg issues
1ml orally through syringe or on a small treat so I know they get the dose
With or without leg issues I do nutritional yeast flakes 1tbs to 1 cup feed I do this till 10-12 weeks then no longer measuring I add it to the feed a few times a week
If there is a keg issue I go back to the 1tbs over 1 cup feed until duck has been normal 1-2 weeks
I myself don’t put it in the water

Oh okay, I must have misunderstood this part:
I started to give baby durvet vitamin B complex about 1/2 ml directly on it tongue over the course of the day a few drops at a time
Plus at night would add it and Nutridrench to the night water
What gets added to their night water with the Nutridrench?

Unfortunately it's looking like the duckling's problem foot is not growing as fast as the other foot, so I'm trying to come to terms with it most likely being a developmental defect that can't be fixed with Niacin. Especially since I'm feeding Mazuri Starter which I've read contains 162 ppm of Niacin vs the minimum 55 ppm. But I'll keep trying it.

Is extra Niacin the only possible way to correct a bowed leg, or is there any other kind of brace/splint/etc that could help while it's still so young?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom