Duckling with deformed leg. Splint?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlackBrookPoultry, May 31, 2011.

1. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Crowing

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I had a call duck hatch today with one of its legs bent inward and his toes all curled. I put tape on the foot for a while to try to spread the toes but his whole leg kept twisting and ending up behind him so I took if off. I'm just not sure what to do with him. Maybe try to tape something at the joint? Any suggestions from experienced people?
    [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have had a few hatch with foot problems- And have used sticky foam pads with great success. I use foam pads I found in the toiletries section of the chemist - they are for human feet- to protect from corns and callouses. I just cut them down in size a little to the shape of a duck foot. They are sticky enough to stay on for a few days- but do also peel off without to much difficulty or pain caused to the duckling.

[​IMG]

I hope he gets that foot straightened out soon- call ducklings are such sweet little fluff balls.

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Crowing

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I went and bought some of those sticky pads today and put one on. The problem seems to be more with his joint wanting to bend inward.

4. sally1984

sally1984 Hatching

Jul 7, 2011
    Did you manage to resolve the problem??? Please tell me you have. i have a call duckling that is a day old with the same problem I have brought the corn plasters as suggested to you but the leg is weak, and the duckling keeps flipping on to its back. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: