duckling with hurt leg

Pics

dwlacy

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2014
oklahoma
2 day old chocolate runner ducking not able to put weight on her left leg.

feeding the ducklings with 22% feed & I have added vitamins to the water.

any help with how to proceed with caring for the duckling would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200117_170807.jpg
    20200117_170807.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200117_170732.jpg
    20200117_170732.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 23
I can't tell anything from the pictures but I'd start him on B-complex ASAP! You can get it at Tractor Supply. I don't know where you are but hopefully you are near one. Here is a picture of what the bottle looks like. See if you can get it to eat something it's on so that it gets 1ml a day to start with. I personally don't put it in the water because I feel it gets too diluted.
IMG_0216.JPG

I had a tiny duckling like that and I bought some probiotics to but in his water for him to swim in. I have no idea if it helped...I was throwing everything at him him. You could also mix a tiny bit if plain yogurt in. With his crumbles...it has extra protein and helps them.

I can't tell anything from the pictures but I'd start him on B-complex ASAP! You can get it at Tractor Supply. I don't know where you are but hopefully you are near one. Here is a picture of what the bottle looks like. See if you can get it to eat something it's on so that it gets 1ml a day to start with. I personally don't put it in the water because I feel it gets too diluted.
View attachment 2004999
This is the best stuff you can get it’s like a miracle elixir for our birds! Please get some and start your duckling on this. Even if she’s injured the b complex will help. Was she shipped? Injured or do you know if it’s an injury?

While the leg heals you might want to separate the injured one so it doesn't get trampled/stepped on by the others. Just make sure there's sufficient heat for the lone one and maybe put some mirrors and fluffy duck dolls so he doesn't get lonely and freaked out.

And we need more pics of the whole duckling because cuuuuuuute.

If you do take the duckling away from the other try and still keep it in the brooder so it can still be with it's hatch mates. Hopefully a few days of rest is all it will need. When I had newly hatched and 3 week olds in the same brooder I just made a divider with hardware cloth and wrapped the edges with gorilla tape That way the littles could still be in the brooder but the 3 week olds could stomp all over them. Worked great I just put the heat lamp in the middle so it heated both sides. Please keep us updated on the little one. Shipping is ruff on them.
@dwlacy

only 5 ducklings in the metal tub I use as I brooder, so I don't think I need to separate her....the only time they trample/step on her is if someone comes real close or reaches in....I'll just push the B-12 vitamins & watch her....

2 fawn & white females, 2 chocolate females, and a blue drake....all runner ducks....I had a blue female, but she didn't survive the shipping....

Attachments

• 20200118_072308.jpg
    20200118_072308.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom