Duckling with leg issue - any ideas?

walter123

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
My husband and I were at TSC today and saw a duckling with a leg issue. We don’t have any ducks, just chickens, but we couldn’t leave it behind, so we brought it home with a friend.

She gets around fine, is eating and drinking, but it doesn’t place that foot correctly. Doesn’t appear to be any swelling or other abnormalities.

We have read a bit about nutritional deficiencies and tendon issues, but does anyone have an idea of what could be causing it?

We’re planning on splinting it and seeing how it goes.

IMG_3579.jpeg

My husband and I were at TSC today and saw a duckling with a leg issue. We don’t have any ducks, just chickens, but we couldn’t leave it behind, so we brought it home with a friend.

She gets around fine, is eating and drinking, but it doesn’t place that foot correctly. Doesn’t appear to be any swelling or other abnormalities.

We have read a bit about nutritional deficiencies and tendon issues, but does anyone have an idea of what could be causing it?

We’re planning on splinting it and seeing how it goes.

View attachment 3528846
Firstly, thank you for adopting the little one, and with a friend too!

A couple pointers for ducklings, as they have their differences to chicks, you may already know these things:
Diet: duckling feeds are best. But if you can't access one, a chick starter supplemented with 1 tbsp of nutritional or brewers yeast, will be okay.
Water: a waterer which is deep enough for the ducklings to dunk their heads in is important, but ensure they can climb in, as they won't be waterproof yet. A tubberware container with holes in the lid can work well.
Heat: ducklings don't need it quite as warm as chicks do, but as long as they can escape the heat to a cool side of the brooder, they should do fine.

As for the little one with a poorly leg. There's a few things it could be, but it would be a good idea to rule out slipped tendons.
I would get some B complex from tractor supply, by the brand durvet, 1 ml daily given orally over a small bit of food. This contains a good amount of niacin and if this is a nutritional issue, that could help.

If you feel the leg, is it the same as the other ducklings legs? Nothing out of place, the back of leg feels the same? No swelling?
If you stretch the leg and foot out gently, does it open out normally? Or is there stiffness?

If it is just the foot that doesn't open out correctly when the duckling walks, I think a "shoe" would be an option. Let me tag some people who know more about this

@Miss Lydia @New duck mommy 2021

I think it was more that the boot was kind of sticking to our hard wood floors, so we’re going to see if we can find a different wrap today that isn’t quite so bulky and sticky. We ordered those 3D printed boots from Etsy, so hopefully they will ship quickly.

We will also try a little swimming time! We gave them a big baking dish with water yesterday before we wrapped the foot and they both were able to get in and bop around. It wasn’t quite deep enough for them to get a good swim in though, so we will try the tub.

Can you share a video you'll have to upload on youtube or another venue then copy and paste it here.
Can the duckling walk at all using this leg? does it always hold it out to the side?

Congrats on your 2 little ones they are adorable.

this link has good info on how to correct issues.
http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
That boot looks good for first timer. I wonder if a hobble would help for a day along with the boot? Might hold the leg a proper angel too.

I'm wondering if she may have an injury And yes feel both hips and see if you can feel anything out of norm. She is trying hard to walk and keep up so maybe with the liquid b complex and the boot etc she'll get over this. Another thing you can do is water therapy without the boot of course. But fill the tub just deep enough they can float with warm water and let them have a blast they won't realize it's for leg strength they will just have a blast. Stay right with them and let them play as long as the water stays warm or they show they are ready to get out. The pat dry and right back under heat this is really good for leg strength and also will get them started on preening which will help them become water proof. You can place something heavy they can get up on in the tub but as long as you stay with them they probably won't need it.

@CoriM what do you think of a hobble do you think it would help?

Thank you guys for responding! Here is a link to a video of the duck walking. Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated!

We will pick up the B complex tonight from TSC and start giving that. I’m assuming we should try splinting it as well?

IMG_3597.jpeg

This is what TSC was feeding them, so we picked that up. We figured it was better to keep the feed the same until we figure out what’s going on with the leg.

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3600.jpeg
    IMG_3600.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom