Duckling with perosis

ducklover13

Hatching
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Received my two Pekin ducklings on Wedneaday that I ordered. One of them couldn't walk so I took her to the vet and they told me she has a genetic thing called perosis. I called the hatchery and they said they warranty ducks for 24 hours and I shouldn't have taken her to the vet it wasn't necessary. But what should I have done?? Anybody else had experience with this?

Last edited:
frow.gif
so sorry about the duckling. I have no direct knowledge or experience with ducklings or the issue of Perosis but a quick search suggests that if it is genetic there's not a lot that can be done about it.

I would suggest you also post this question under the emergencies to see if you can get some advice.

I think taking the duckling to a vet was a good idea, but wonder if your vet offered some options to try to help the problem?

Received my two Pekin ducklings on Wedneaday that I ordered. One of them couldn't walk so I took her to the vet and they told me she has a genetic thing called Porosis. I called the hatchery and they said they warranty ducks for 24 hours and I shouldn't have taken her to the vet it wasn't necessary. But what should I have done?? Anybody else had experience with this?
If you go here https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry scroll down till you come to slipped tendon or Perosis it will explain what it is and treatment.

That is very sad the hatchery didn't noticed the duckling. What did the vet recommend?

Sorry for the spelling error. They suggested I put her down. :( The hatchery is sending me two new ducks at no cost...they said they are unable to ship one at a time. I had her for less than a day so I really didn't have time to get attached. Now I have one lone duckling for the next few days...I have put a mirror and a stuffed animal in with her so she won't be so lonely, and we are trying to give her lots of love until her new friends arrive.

Sorry for the spelling error. They suggested I put her down. :( The hatchery is sending me two new ducks at no cost...they said they are unable to ship one at a time. I had her for less than a day so I really didn't have time to get attached. Now I have one lone duckling for the next few days...I have put a mirror and a stuffed animal in with her so she won't be so lonely, and we are trying to give her lots of love until her new friends arrive.

I'd say unless you catch it right away and sometimes surgery is the only thing left to do so They were most likely right. Very sorry. Good for you taking care to make your lil one feel comfortable and loved they really do need that. Let us know how it goes when the 2 new ones arrive and make sure the one you have now doesn't pick on them since they will just be new born and this will one be a little older. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

Enjoying our duck house. We found pictures of a duck house and drew our own plans. The ducks love it!

Very nice - love the duck house.

But so sorry about the duckling it is hard to lose one even if you had it only a short time, but IMO you made the right decision
hugs.gif

Hope the replacements will be healthy and live a full, happy life..

Back
Top Bottom