Duckling with possible pasty butt / vent issues

The first picture is the vent. And if you look closely it has dry brownish color spots on it. Dry poop. He/she is able to poop it just looks like it gets stuck on the vent and feathers a little. But not bad where it can’t go. But it sticking out like that is strange. (Just from random pictures I have found showing the vent) This is a wild duckling we found all by itself and I couldn’t get it to eat at first. And it had a rough couple of days. I thought it might pass. Stayed up most of the night one night trying to keep it hydrated and ok. Once we got it to start eating it was doing great. Then all of a sudden looked like it was straining to poo. Thought it might be the food. So started putting a little water in the food to soften it and then I noticed this. We have only had this duckling just over a week. Someone told me today I needed to worm it. I’m trying my best (with some help from family) but I also don’t want it in pain.
Sounds like you are doing what you can
Could you try warm baths a few times a day ?
With it being wild you will have no idea how well mom was Eating and she could have been low on vitamins herself
Have you tried giving poly vi sol vitamins ( without iron )
A few drops in a smaller water dish or on the side of the beak
What is your brooder like ? How hot are you keeping it ?

He/she is able to poop it just looks like it gets stuck on the vent and feathers a little. But not bad where it can’t go.
If the bits of poop are not blocking the vent, it should be fine to just leave them.

But it sticking out like that is strange. (Just from random pictures I have found showing the vent)
I think that is strange, but I don't think there's anything you can really do about it. Either it will be fine or it will not be fine.

This is a wild duckling we found all by itself and I couldn’t get it to eat at first. And it had a rough couple of days. I thought it might pass. Stayed up most of the night one night trying to keep it hydrated and ok. Once we got it to start eating it was doing great. Then all of a sudden looked like it was straining to poo. Thought it might be the food. So started putting a little water in the food to soften it and then I noticed this. We have only had this duckling just over a week. Someone told me today I needed to worm it. I’m trying my best (with some help from family) but I also don’t want it in pain.
Since it was by itself, there may be something wrong with it-- either the parent may have rejected it, or it may have been too weak to keep up with the rest. Or something could have happened to the parent, in which case the duckling itself might be fine.

If you're fairly sure it's wild instead of domestic, I suggest you contact a local wildlife rescue place and ask for their advice. Wild ducks don't usually make good pets, and any ducks do better if they are raised with other ducks. A wildlife rescue might have other ducklings to raise it with, and should know if there are any things specific to wild ducklings that people with domestic ducks don't usually think about.

If the bits of poop are not blocking the vent, it should be fine to just leave them.

I think that is strange, but I don't think there's anything you can really do about it. Either it will be fine or it will not be fine.

Since it was by itself, there may be something wrong with it-- either the parent may have rejected it, or it may have been too weak to keep up with the rest. Or something could have happened to the parent, in which case the duckling itself might be fine.

If you're fairly sure it's wild instead of domestic, I suggest you contact a local wildlife rescue place and ask for their advice. Wild ducks don't usually make good pets, and any ducks do better if they are raised with other ducks. A wildlife rescue might have other ducklings to raise it with, and should know if there are any things specific to wild ducklings that people with domestic ducks don't usually think about.
Thank you for all the advice. I tried when we first found it and the wildlife place says they can't take them because ducks aren't considered wildlife because they are considered domesticated. They just suggested feed and keeping it warm. Other than the vent issue its doing well so far. Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom