Duckling with unabsorbed yolk which has ruptured

Mai passion

Hatching
Mar 11, 2021
So four nights ago when I went to feed my ducks , I saw an egg that had cracked underneath it's mother , I didn't want to draw her attention to it so she won't kill the duckling , just for me to go there the following morning to see that the duckling had cracked it's egg with the head almost out , decided to help it a little bit by chipping the top part of the egg off , when the duckling finally came out it had the huge yolk attached to it , I searched online for what to do and saw that I was to use moist towel around the yolk and give it warmth , I took it away from the mother as i was afraid she would try to eat the yolk , I had put it in a container then went to cook only for me to come back and meet it on the floor with the yolk sac ruptured , I didn't know what else to do so I left the remnant alone , was advised to use thread to cut it off since the yolk had ruptured and use methylated spirit to treat the wound with some antibiotics but I only used antibiotics on it as I wasn't too trusting of myself cutting it , wanted to leave it to dry out and cut by itself hopefully without any complications , Is that advisable to do ??

The problem now is that it opened it's eyes on the first day but now it's eyes is half open and seems kind of dry , what could have caused it ??
Though it seems it can still see .

I tried giving it water and some glucose and noticed that the glucose water was coming out through the nostril , whar am I to do ??

It's still alive and moving , hardly stays in a place for more than five minutes , do not have an incubator so I provided it with hot water in a plastic bottle as a source of warmth , been trying to feed it , just wanted to know if there was something am doing wrong.

It's been three days now .

Sorry if my story is too long.

It just died right now don't know why it was perfectly fine this morning , I decided to go feed the remaining this afternoon only to find it upside down , I brought it up to notice it was kind of gasping or choking am not really sure though , I tried to give it some water but it vomited it , I held it's head up hoping it would help it , then it would gasp small then stop then it just stopped . And that was it . I don't know what exactly happened . I'm really sad right now .

Thanks though

I'm sorry to hear it died. :hugsThe only chick I've hatched that ruptured its yolk at hatch also died after 5 days. It ate, drank, but didn't thrive, despite special care...it just grew weaker and weaker. Failure to absorb the yolk properly is clearly very traumatic to young hatchlings, maybe more than we realize.

You tried to help, and that's really all we can do.

Back
Top Bottom