Ducklings and Chickens living together

Swirls76

Songster
6 Years
May 31, 2017
Hello all,

I am looking for some information on when I can fully introduce my new four ducklings to the rest of my chicken flock. My ducklings are rather large at 6 weeks and almost fully feathered. Currently, they have been in the same enclosure but separated for about two weeks now. I have built them a separate coop that meets each of their needs. The enclosure and coop are rather large and there is enough space for them to roam and stay away from each other. We also let them free range all the time.

When do you think I would be able to let them commingle?
Any suggestions on how to separate their food because they will be eating grower vs. layer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• duck and chicken coop 2.JPG
    duck and chicken coop 2.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 8
  • duck and chicken coop.JPG
    duck and chicken coop.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 6
  • duck coop.JPG
    duck coop.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 4
  • run.JPG
    run.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
I would personally raise the ducklings a bit longer on their own, so they don't become too familiar with the chickens. That can cause problems down the road if you have drakes and they try to mate the chickens.

Ducklings also need to eat a ration formulated for them. You may eventually want to switch your whole flock over to an All Flock ration or a flock raiser ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. That both species can eat.

What do your waterers look like? Ducks are going to make a mess out of any drinking water, so expect to change it daily. Also you will to need to figure out what to do about the wet mess they will make around it.

I would personally raise the ducklings a bit longer on their own, so they don't become too familiar with the chickens. That can cause problems down the road if you have drakes and they try to mate the chickens.

Ducklings also need to eat a ration formulated for them. You may eventually want to switch your whole flock over to an All Flock ration or a flock raiser ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. That both species can eat.

What do your waterers look like? Ducks are going to make a mess out of any drinking water, so expect to change it daily. Also you will to need to figure out what to do about the wet mess they will make around it.

Thank you for your response. As of right now, I have them divided but they can still see each other. Currently, I am feeding them Scratch and Peck Growers Feed with a brewer's yeast supplement. I made a waterer out of a bucket and waterer cups. Along with the waterer, I have two containers where they can dip their whole heads. Yes, they are rather messy, but I clean everyday and change the water ever few hours. Almost every day, I put them into a kiddie pool so they can swim. Even though we have raised since day one, they still scream bloody murder when I grab them.

Attached are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• waterer.jpeg
    waterer.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
  • divider.jpeg
    divider.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 3
I was able to raise my ducks and chicks together, w/o much trouble - and though I have too many drakes, there's no evidence any of them have been trying to mount any of my chickens, though two of them are quite randy.

Do what you are doing, let them free range together for a week/10 days, separating them at night. If that goes well, you can join them. My ducks sleep on the ground, my chickens in a raised hen house, so no issues in the evenings.

and as @oldhenlikesdogs suggested, I'd transition to All Flock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell for your layers - which is what I'm doing, though I'm having some difficulty getting my laying ducks to eat the oyster shell. Several posters have suggested that the white oyster shell (which I have 50# of) is less favored by the birds than the grey oyster shell options, though why that is seems to be conjecture and anecdotes.

Drakes can be hit and miss with chicken aggression. I keep muscovy, so there may be some differences. I've never seen a muscovy attempt to mate a chicken as they are a bit more lazy about it. I have seen some back and forth between hens of both species, and I've seen 2 drakes be chicken aggressive. They went away. A lot of times it's just try stuff out and see how it goes. Tweak or remove birds as necessary. What works for me may not be best for others and their circumstances.

As of right, they are are all hens. Also, I don't have any rooster in my flock of hens either. All ladies. Thank you all for your input. One more question, can I start to introduce fruits and vegetables?

I usually wait until after 8 weeks before adding extras as that seems to be the time when you can see deficiencies if you are going to.

Those are my girls now at 6 weeks.

Attachments

• 8CC60FA9-4007-4B78-A8E0-5769F3A4400D.jpeg
    8CC60FA9-4007-4B78-A8E0-5769F3A4400D.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 5
  • F1861B30-B8C1-4688-BEE8-FB1E3B09A2B9.jpeg
    F1861B30-B8C1-4688-BEE8-FB1E3B09A2B9.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 5
Hello all,

I am looking for some information on when I can fully introduce my new four ducklings to the rest of my chicken flock. My ducklings are rather large at 6 weeks and almost fully feathered. Currently, they have been in the same enclosure but separated for about two weeks now. I have built them a separate coop that meets each of their needs. The enclosure and coop are rather large and there is enough space for them to roam and stay away from each other. We also let them free range all the time.

When do you think I would be able to let them commingle?
Any suggestions on how to separate their food because they will be eating grower vs. layer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you buy food i would get all flock feed that way you dont have to worry about it and they can be together now mine are all together my main coop is a crazy mixed-up flock there is ducks chickens guineas and bunnies in my main coop do you have any cockerels if so they should be getting all flock anyway layer feed is not really good for roos

Attachments

• 20200528_100142.jpg
    20200528_100142.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200901_174755.jpg
    20200901_174755.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200716_170505.jpg
    20200716_170505.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom