Ducklings are here! I have questions :)

Tiggrsbounc

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
Eastern NC
I picked the babies up about an hour ago. Everyone is doing great: eating, drinking, running around like little kids hyped up on caffeine and sugar!:wee Anastasia-the cayuga- is active but seems quieter than the rest (for today at least lol).
Ducklings_Day1.jpg

So for the past days I've been searching for info like crazy and reading for hours. I have come across quite a bit of info that has raised some questions.
I just went through all this a few months ago with the original 3 ducks but the new ones are SO tiny and I'm doing a couple of things differently than I did with the others.

Do Purina Flock Raiser crumbles already have Niacin included or do I still need to supplement with Brewer's Yeast? I fed an un-medicated chick starter to the first ducklings but in my reading I found that I could feed the Flock Raiser from hatch on up to adulthood.

At what age do I stop including Brewers Yeast, or at least cut it back to once a week?

I read something that said Flock Raiser should be "cut" with oatmeal once ducks hit a certain age because it would be too much protein-at what age does this need to be done?

I bought some Vitamins/Electrolytes from the hatchery and the directions say to add 1/10 ml to a gallon of water...they're not getting a gallon of water at a time so I'm just adding a pinch to their water every time I change it. Does that sound like a reasonable plan of action?

I'm sure I've probably forgotten to ask something but I'll post it later if I think about it.

Thank you in advance!

Congrats. I am using purina flock raiser, but added just a little more niacin just in case someone doesn't eat their fair share.
I am not sure when to quit adding it.
I added a pinch of the electrolytes and probiotics at first too. It didn't seem to harm them.
What type of ducklings do you have?

Do Purina Flock Raiser crumbles already have Niacin included or do I still need to supplement with Brewer's Yeast?
In therory, you shouldn't need to because it supposedly contains 55 ppm (55 mg per kilogram) which is enough for most ducks, but some ducks do better with a higher dose.

Compare the to the Mazuri duck starter, it contains 83 ppm.
https://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5641.pdf

Adorable lil ones, and sounds great they are running around eating and drinking.
If me I'd add some brewers yeast just to be on the safe side especially after seeing what casportpony posted about difference in niacin content.
I'd really like to pick the brain of a feed expert at Mazuri. I noticed that their breeder feed has even more niacin and I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
Congrats. I am using purina flock raiser, but added just a little more niacin just in case someone doesn't eat their fair share.
I am not sure when to quit adding it.
I added a pinch of the electrolytes and probiotics at first too. It didn't seem to harm them.
What type of ducklings do you have?

Thank you. I'll add some just to be on the safe side.

1 Swedish Blue, 1 Buff, 1 Cayuga, and 2 Welsh Harlequins-all are ducks except one Welsh drake.

In therory, you shouldn't need to because it supposedly contains 55 ppm (55 mg per kilogram) which is enough for most ducks, but some ducks do better with a higher dose.

Compare the to the Mazuri duck starter, it contains 83 ppm.
https://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5641.pdf
I think I'll sprinkle just a little on top of their feed just to make sure they are getting enough. I've never seen the Mazuri around here but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Adorable lil ones, and sounds great they are running around eating and drinking.
If me I'd add some brewers yeast just to be on the safe side especially after seeing what casportpony posted about difference in niacin content.
Thank you. I'm already in love with them! I want to sit in there and hold them all day but I'm trying to give them some time to settle in and adjust.
Is there a certain age that Brewers Yeast should be stopped or cut back on?
Also, should the flock raiser be cut with oatmeal at a certain age due to the protein content?

Back
Top Bottom