ducklings being hatched by hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danalister, Oct 30, 2008.

1. danalister

danalister Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    I have a bantam sitting on 5 of her own eggs and two duck eggs (i started the duck eggs under another chicken and moved them to this one timing it so they are due to hatch at the same time) (I have candled them and they are fertile!)
    My question is can I just leave the hen to look after the ducklings and her chicks together when they hatch? Don't the little ducklings like to go for a swim quite soon after they hatch?

2. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    baby ducks need plenty of water to eat they are messy i have raised them to gether

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm doing the same thing, my silkie is setting on 3 ducks eggs. I'm hoping that she accepts them, but I'm prepared with an indoor broody if she rejects them. Only time will tell.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:There were a few other posts on this topic not to long ago, Try searching the topic in the search above. Might help yah out a little more !!

I would keep an eye on them when the start to hatch and make sure she doesnt reject or hurt them !! Also yes, they like to swim and chickens well dont swim so I would guess mama would be getting very upset !!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    People who have let hens raise ducklings say that the hens have a regular fit once the ducklings discover water.

6. danalister

danalister Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Good news is that you can raise ducklings with chickens under the same hen (although remember the egg incubation time is different!) They all hatched together (I had timed the duck eggs and moved them from one bantam to another so they were due to hatch at the same time) and the ducklings and chicks were quite happy together and the mummy loved them all the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by