Ducklings "chatting"

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I have four ducklings, one is four weeks old this Thursday and the other three will be three weeks old this Thursday. Two of the ducklings (the older) and one younger talk all the time, which I can only describe as "chatting" it is three or four sets of sounds that are repeated quite often. The other two ducklings hardly say anything. Does this speak to personality or gender? I read quite a bit on sexing by quack but they are not there yet. No quacking, just this high pitched chatting. Thank you!

It's more a personality thing, though I have found girls tend to be chattier at that age. But, some males are chatty, too, so it's no guarantee of gender.

I'd say it's a personality thing too. When my two female ducks were babies, one carried on about how happy she was non stop and the other hardly made a sound. Funny; the loudest duckling grew up to be the quietest duck.

A bit of both, personally i find the females are chatty in general and tend to use and discover voice before males. By about 5wks you'll start to hear it, the drakes start to loose the voice the ducks just keep increasing in the case of my calls that keeps going louder and louder!

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to see what I have (girls vs boys) but I'll have to wait a bit longer it seems.

Back
Top Bottom