Ducklings different colors?

Ducklings have sex-linked color if the drake has two chocolate alleles, and the duck has none. Your ducklings don't appear to be sex-linked, and if the drake is a regular mallard, they can't be. Instead you have six that will look similar to mallards, and two that will be a lighter color. It is unlikely that they all have the same mother, because ducks will lay in each other's nests.

If your drake and/or ducks are not pure-blooded you can end up with unpredictable results.

But I did learn that my drake is a Mallard and not a Khaki Campbell.

Can I see a picture of him and all the possible mothers?

And I think in the female khaki the buff dilution and the chocolate dilution are both recessive.

Both of those are recessive, yes :) But buff is not involved in the Khaki color, so there would be no buff.

So if I have a Chocolate duckling, that would mean it is dominant

Chocolate is never dominant, only recessive. If they get it from both parents, then in can express. Or in the case of females, they must inherit their one copy from Dad.

nd the yellow means it is recessive

Yellow is recessive if the ducklings are white. These guys don't look white.

therefore, it seems like I have sex linked ducklings rather than two different breeds?

Doesn't seem like you have sex linked ducklings. Well, you could, if your drake is a khaki campbell and the ducklings are ALL from a mother that isn't a khaki campbell, in which case chocolate ducklings would be female and non-chocolate male, but since you do have a lot of khaki campbell hens, this is likely not the case.

None of your ducklings actually look chocolate to me - which makes sense, if your drake is a mallard as you suspect.

Can I see a picture of him and all the possible mothers?

Both of those are recessive, yes :) But buff is not involved in the Khaki color, so there would be no buff.

Chocolate is never dominant, only recessive. If they get it from both parents, then in can express. Or in the case of females, they must inherit their one copy from Dad.

Yellow is recessive if the ducklings are white. These guys don't look white.

Doesn't seem like you have sex linked ducklings. Well, you could, if your drake is a khaki campbell and the ducklings are ALL from a mother that isn't a khaki campbell, in which case chocolate ducklings would be female and non-chocolate male, but since you do have a lot of khaki campbell hens, this is likely not the case.

None of your ducklings actually look chocolate to me - which makes sense, if your drake is a mallard as you suspect.
IMG_6641.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6690.JPG

@Pyxis
Grey Runner is possible mom
Black Cayuga is possible mom
Only have one of the drakes still. Mallard?
Yes are khaki campbells.
And the odd chicken, and Kielbasa, the watch goose.
Thanks for your assistance. This is quite fascinating to me.

They are all beautiful birds and the ducklings are adorable! The two drakes in the bottom picture look like Silver Appleyards; they're definitely not Mallards or Khaki Campbells. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to genetics, but I believe it would take a brown drake, such as a Khaki Campbell, over a black hen to produce sex-linked ducklings so if these are your only two drakes the ducklings are definitely not sex-linked.

They are all beautiful birds and the ducklings are adorable! The two drakes in the bottom picture look like Silver Appleyards; they're definitely not Mallards or Khaki Campbells. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to genetics, but I believe it would take a brown drake, such as a Khaki Campbell, over a black hen to produce sex-linked ducklings so if these are your only two drakes the ducklings are definitely not sex-linked.
You are absolutely right, Table4Six! Those drakes are Silver Appleyards! I never thought to look at that breed. Thanks for pointing that out. I do think the females are khaki campbells but my confidence is not as high now. I think you are right, too, that the ducklings are not sex-linked. So, we will see how they grow up!

You are absolutely right, Table4Six! Those drakes are Silver Appleyards! I never thought to look at that breed. Thanks for pointing that out. I do think the females are khaki campbells but my confidence is not as high now. I think you are right, too, that the ducklings are not sex-linked. So, we will see how they grow up!
Yes, all the females are Khaki Campbells. :) That’s part of the fun of hatching mixed breeds, you never know how they’ll look until they feather out!

Back
Top Bottom