ducklings dying, but chicks made it!?

spencereb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Tennessee
Hello everybody,
Any ideas / suggestions? We hatched out five chicks in the incubator. The first four are off and running, no problem. The last chick seemed too weak to get out of his shell, he had it mostly out of the way, but after a day, I helped him, but he was like a wet rag. Breathing, but could not even hold up his head. After about a day, he died. I checked the last three chicken eggs that didn't hatch after 25 days, they apparently were not fertile, no embryo. So, we are happy with our four chicks, they are so cute!
Then came the ducks. They're supposed to take longer. The first one is alive, but with one leg that he keeps out back. He eats, drinks and is getting bigger, but he can not walk! Worst yet, we have had three consecutive ducklings to hatch that were lifeless, like our last chick. They, too, have withered away. But, we still have several duck eggs coming along. Why do we see this extreme weakness during and after hatching, and is there anything that can be done for the crippled / splayed / dislocated leg? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks, -Spence

Hi there this may sound crazy and way out there but if your planning on keeping this little one as more then just a bird like you pet i would strongly suggest taking it to the vet may sound nuts but i have done it many times i have around 80 chickens and 15 or so ducks and its happened more then once to me if i ts dislocated sometimes they can set it if its something else most times then can point you in the direction you need to be i hope thats some help.

if its not dislocated, you could always try putting a splint on it. If i was in your position i would attempt to make a carrage thing. Do you know the ones the dogs ride in when they break there legs, where its like a square with 4 wheels and you set the duck in on top of the cloth that is cover the rectangle, square shape and cut two holes in the cloth for the ducks legs to stick through.that way the splint keeps the ducks leg straight and it would basically be standing. like sitting in a chair bouncer for babies. the ones you hang up on the cielings of your living room or kitchen and let the baby dangle in it and bounce up and down. srry if this doesnt make much sense, but i hope your getting the idea. hope this helps, keep us posted thanx -mama bird-

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom