Ducklings dying

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
What would cause Muscovy ducklings to suddenly die? I have 3 hens that hatched out 30 ducklings in total over the past 3 weeks. I know that the drake had killed the first 3 of the 12 because I caught him trying to kill a 4th. But now in the past 4 days, I’ve found 8 ducklings dead, 2 were found at the water’s edge and the 6 others on shore. They all were very healthy. I haven’t found any marks on them so I don’t believe it is a predator. I’ve found them at different times of the day too. Luna lost all 4 of her babies (2 was due to, Hughey, my drake), Chocolate has lost 8 of hersin 3 days and so far Lily’s 14 have been lucky.

Their habitat is a large pond on our property next to the house. I do have several chickens but the ducks pretty much stay in their area by the pond.

Any idea what could be causing them to die suddenly? I can do a necropsy on the last one but I don’t know what to look for at this point.
I’ve attached a couple pictures of their area and one batch them.

Attachments

• 00A94FF2-9E58-49F9-BA2F-07AFEEDBBE05.jpeg
    00A94FF2-9E58-49F9-BA2F-07AFEEDBBE05.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 26
  • A7B7A552-B505-431F-8BC1-AF23238FAC03.jpeg
    A7B7A552-B505-431F-8BC1-AF23238FAC03.jpeg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 17
  • AFCB0809-1C5A-42BC-B8B1-74AB5C375E2C.jpeg
    AFCB0809-1C5A-42BC-B8B1-74AB5C375E2C.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 18
He’s locked up in the run away from them.
Okay I missed that part sorry. What are you feeding them? If they don't get enough niacin(vitamin b) they can just drop dead. I learnt that with first broody. Another thing is if the little piggys guts themselves on water thats too cold and go into shock. But given your location I don't think your pond water could be that cold

Okay I missed that part sorry. What are you feeding them? If they don't get enough niacin(vitamin b) they can just drop dead. I learnt that with first broody. Another thing is if the little piggys guts themselves on water thats too cold and go into shock. But given your location I don't think your pond water could be that cold
I have them on the 24% chick feed for ducks. But it seems that they’re getting more of the flock feed because that’s where their mommas are taking them to eat.

If they don't get enough niacin(vitamin b) they can just drop dead.
My guess is the drake caused internal injuries on the others.
Thank you for your help. I thought I would put out an update. I started the ducks and ducklings on pumpkin mixed in their food and that seems to have done most of the trick. I also caught a dang snapping turtle trying to drown a duckling and it left no marks. So I’ve been work on catching them, I’ve caught 5 snapping turtles so far. So the turtles did kill a couple of the ducklings. But the niacin did the trick. I haven’t lost a duckling since. 🥳

Back
Top Bottom