Ducklings eating pine shavings

Estellare

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
My ducklings are about a week and a half old and I had them on towels before introducing pine shavings. Today when I put in pine shavings as their bedding they became obsessed with eating it. I’ve heard some say that they’ll stop but they seem to enjoy eating the shavings and I don’t see them stopping anytime soon. Any solution to teaching them that the pine shavings aren’t food? I’m really worried they’ll choke or get clogged up from how much they’ve eaten so for now I’ve put towels over the shavings while I figure out what to do.

I don't worry about pine anymore.

I tossed a rotting pine log into the pond to be a duckling floaty. The babies had a fabulous time prying off and eating every loose bit. My adults eat bark from the pine trees every fall.

I don't worry about pine anymore.

I tossed a rotting pine log into the pond to be a duckling floaty. The babies had a fabulous time prying off and eating every loose bit. My adults eat bark from the pine trees every fall.
Thanks for the reassurance! I’ve had the pine shavings bedding for three days now and all are doing well🐥

Everytime I put my ducklings on pine shavings after being on towels they eat them for a little bit. Everytime I panic too, and they eventually stop and all is well :p.

Back
Top Bottom