Ducklings falling out of the nest box :(

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, in another post, I mentioned that Maple (my partridge silkie) hatched out 2 crested ducklings a couple days ago. The nest boxes are about 1-2 feet off the ground and the ducklings have been falling out. I put up a small barrier with access to food and water. When Maple leaves the nest for a minute, they figure out a way to try to follow her. I have an enclosed area n the floor that I can try to relocate the ducklings, but will Maple follow and take care of them there? I would hate for her to abandon them and she is such a great mom. Has anyone else have this problem? I also have 2 other silkie pullets in there, would they mess with the ducklings? This is my first time that I had a silkie mommy and I want her to raise the babies herself. Any suggestions would be appreciated
smile.png

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
Ducklings want to follow their mamas. At 1 to 2 feet off the ground, they wouldn't be able to get back in there with her for quite a while. Maybe you can make a ramp for them?

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, thanks for responding. Yes, there is a ramp, but I don't think they can get back up there. I am going to try to make a "nestbox" on the floor. I just don't want them to get chilled, it's cool today. Thanks again
smile.png

Top Bottom