Ducklings feed/niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seussiii, Feb 13, 2017.

1. seussiii

seussiii Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2017
    I have half a dozen Ancona ducklings on their way in a few weeks and had a few questions on starter feed.

If I were to start them off on a 16% grower feed but supplemented live or dry meal worms.... would this make up the protein difference from the 20% starter?

Also, I've been reading quite a bit and it sounds like naturally ducks would get their niacin requirements from insects. Would the meal worms also cover that aspect? I'd like to keep their diet as natural as possible. Smaller percentage of grain and more veggies/fruit/insects from forage/free range.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No. You either feed a duckling starter or have to provide niacin for them.....i buy Duck starter so do not know the proper daily amounts.....

Cheers!

3. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I've raised ducklings on chick starter and they do ok. This time I'm using mazuri waterfowl starter and I love the lack of mess and waste!

4. chickens really

This time is it providing the proper niacin for the Ducklings?

5. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    From what I've read romaine is naturally high in niacin so you can also give that to them as snacks. If they are ducklings you will want to help them by chopping them into 1/8" squares. Or just minced.

6. chickens really

You need to rembeber they are Ducklings and do not need to cause the poops in them either....,niacin is the safest way to be added to a ducklings feed......

Cheers.....

7. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Niacin in mazuri waterfowl starter is 83.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by