Ducklings Feet Going Inward - Niacin?

Brittanyyy

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
Hello everyone!
I have two ducklings who’s feet are going inwards. One is getting really bad. They just turned a week old. I heard it could be a niacin deficiency?
I am feeding them Manna Pro duckling and gosling starter grower. It says 35 mg/lb. I was told that would be enough niacin but I guess not?
What’s the easiest way to supplement? I heard brewers yeast? How much do I give them of that? Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!
I have two ducklings who’s feet are going inwards. One is getting really bad. They just turned a week old. I heard it could be a niacin deficiency?
I am feeding them Manna Pro duckling and gosling starter grower. It says 35 mg/lb. I was told that would be enough niacin but I guess not?
What’s the easiest way to supplement? I heard brewers yeast? How much do I give them of that? Thanks in advance!
Hi Brittanyyy, I buy nutritional yeast in bulk from Natural Grocers and have never had any issues with our girls.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Bless they definitely need to get started on some vitamin B complex ASAP. It works wonders and once your seeing a problem is the best to use to get them over it.
:welcome
@Miss Lydia I'm having the same problem with bowed legs in one of my ducklings. They get nutritional yeast and the others seem fine but I want to get some extra niacin into that one. All of the b-complexes that are recommended in the article are injectable, can they be given orally? And I'm also confused about niacinamide vs. niacin. The complexes seem to have niacinamide but I thought that niacinamide was a flush-free type, which the article says not to use. Thanks for posting that link!

Last edited:
The B complexes in the article are the safe ones. Once you begin seeing the leg issues the B complex is the best way to help and yes orally 1 ml per ducklings over a tasty treat or small amount of feed just to make sure they are getting full dose.

Let us know how this little one is doing. It's amazing how quick the b complex helps.

The B complexes in the article are the safe ones. Once you begin seeing the leg issues the B complex is the best way to help and yes orally 1 ml per ducklings over a tasty treat or small amount of feed just to make sure they are getting full dose.

Let us know how this little one is doing. It's amazing how quick the b complex helps.
Thank you, I found the Durvet brand at the feed store today but I'm having a hard time giving her the full dose. I looked into her mouth but she didn't like it much, and I didn't get a clear enough view to syringe it in the right place. I tried it over peas and she spit them out when she tasted it. I ended up just putting some into the water that they all share. She's actually doing a little better than yesterday since I put some crushed niacin tablets in their water last night. But I'd still like to give her the daily dose if I can think of a way to do it. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom