Ducklings getting coop wet?

Junkybird

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Dacusville, SC
I have 21 chicks and 2 ducklings. Right now, the ducklings are in the coop with the chicks, but they are inside a large dog crate. They have their own waterer and food dish, but they keep splashing their water everywhere and getting the pine shavings wet underneath them. I have their waterer in one of those plastic things you put under pots, but it is still getting wet.

I know that the coop is supposed to stay dry, but what exactly does that mean? I'm sure that a little rain is going to come in the windows when it rains hard. I'm at a loss as how to keep the rain out (that's another post) and now THIS wetness from the ducks! As soon as the pen is finished the ducks will be staying outside in the pen and NOT in the coop because of this. I am starting to regret getting those "cute little ducks," because they are making things harder! I wanted them to live together, but with ducklings having to have all this water--I don't know.

Last edited:
I took a milk jug and cut about 4 holes evenly around the jug about the height of the handle so the ducks can stick their head in and drink. You can put the jug on a plate or pie pan to keep it from getting in the shavings as they take their heads out after getting a drink. It has helped me alot. Chicks can drink from the milk jugs also. You might have to do a couple of jugs and cut holes at different heights.

So are they able to eat and drink at the same time? I know that they love to take some food in their mouths and then drink, over and over. They will do that until all the water is gone. They seem to never tire of drinking! Would you put this contraption in the coop, or just outside in the pen? I can't wait until the pen is finished (Wednesday). Then I think that I won't have this issue. . .

I've done both. Let me go take a picture and post it for you.

5-4-09089.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that last night we made one of these out of an old 5 gallon container that held cat litter. It is working marvelously and keeping the wetness down on the shavings! Thanks so much. Even the chickens are using it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom