Ducklings Going To School - Need Help With Display

Captain Cluck

Songster
13 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Central Florida
My Buff Orpington hen hatched 4 mutt ducklings for me from my own mixed flock on Sunday. I am in love all over again!
love.gif

Since granddaughter's Kindergarten class is studying baby animals, we received permission for the hen and ducklings to visit the class next week. I will be giving a little presentation about how ducklings grow and ducks in general. The big word for the day will be Gestation.

My problem is: 18 excited Kindergarteners wanting to pick up four 10 day old ducklings. One child in particular is very hands- on, touchy-feely and does not listen or follow directions.
ep.gif

I need a way for the kids to see the ducklings but not be able to pick them up. I can carry them around to be petted, but I do not trust a group of excited little kids to be gentle with the ducklings or not drop them. (I plan to put a harness and leash on Momma.)

I do have pet taxis for transport. What can I use to put the ducklings in so the kids can see them but not touch them until petting time?

I thought about an aquarium, but haven't found a plastic one - I am nervous about glass around these kids.
I thought about a kiddie pool, but kids can get into that in a heartbeat, and will. I don't have an available wire crate to use (they are all either occupied, or the wire spacing allows the little ones to slip out.)

I am also limited on finances.

Any ideas?

we once made a little play gym for our cockatiel out of plexiglass and epoxy (I think it might have had wood edging). The plexi glass is cheap, one tube of "plastic" epoxy, and we cut down the wood (it was in the shape of an L to go around corners) right at the store and paid for only what we needed. We did this through home depot. Plexiglass in thinner sheets can easily be cut by a sharp box cutter (just cut one side and crack off the other while lying flat over a table edge). I think it cost maybe $30 altogether. Hope that helps! I'm afraid I don't have any pictures for you though. You don't have to make a bottom, just place that in the kiddie pool or on a table with a puppy pad.

That sounds good. Is there a way to make it so it can fold and fit in a car? I might not have the truck that day and our car is a tiny one.

Going to Lowe's and Home Depot to check it out later today.

Please, keep the ideas coming.

I need lightweight, easily portable, one adult to transport and set up, easy to see through, keep kids out, Ducklings in. Maybe the hen, too. Guess I'll need a top?
(am I asking too much? LOL)

What about a plastic storage tote? you could get a clear one then cut a big hole in the lid and then cover it with the wire mesh(attach it with glue or something?)

Where can I find a clear one? I have only seen the translucent ones locally (they look like white frosted plastic) That sounds doable, too.

Please keep the ideas coming. I am sure there are more.

BYC peeps are wonderful!
bow.gif

Can you borrow a plexiglass aquarium? That would be ideal. Put the word out on Facebook or through whatever grapevines you use that you're looking to borrow one for a few days and see what turns up.

Plastic totes are good but I've never seen one that is as clear as a plexiglass tank. If you had one with a wire mesh top, they could at least look down at the babies.

Another thing you might be able to borrow somewhere is a hamster or guinea pig or ferret cage--the small portable kind. You can always use window screen material or bird netting to make the openings small enough to hold the ducklings in. Or a wire dog crate--again, the key here is to see what you can borrow.

I have scads of that kind of thing sitting around I'd be delighted to loan you if you were nearby--I'll bet someone who lives in your area will too.

Good luck!

We did this last year for my son's kinder class. What we did was bring them over to the duck area 5 at a time, where they could watch the ducklings play in their water, ask questions and feed them some greens (if they wanted). It was surprising how many of them didn't want to feed them because they were too busy watching and giggling! They just wanted a close up look and the ones that did want to touch them, didn't actually want to hold them...they asked me to hold them so they could touch the down on their back or touch the skin on the webbed feet. I did have a couple feed them some peas, but it was really a far less stressful situation than I expected and I think it's because we did it in small groups.

The kids LOVED looking at the little webbed feet and drew pictures of them after the lesson. It was so cute.

What I used for transportation was a simple small dog kennel that I draped a towel over so they wouldn't be frightened. They were let out of the kennel but we had a closed off area so they could still be safe. Good luck!

I took 14 week old ducklings, goslings and 2 chickens to my sons kindergarden class.... there are 2 classes there 53 kids between the 2 kindergarden class and everyone had to see. I put out a large blanket.... And had them all lay on their tummy's just off the blanket. then I put all the baby's on the blanket.... They peeped, they Pooped and they walked around. I told the kids if they lay very still and quiet they will come nibble on noses and eyelashes. And they all did..... They all loved them to bits. It worked great. At the end I let my son sit with one in his lap and they all got to form a line and give it a pet and say goodbye. The kids just loved it.

And yesterday.... I took a 10gal fish tank with bulb and heating pad to school very very early and I put in some eggs that had pipped...and when the kids came to school one had hatched and they got to watch the rest hatch. They called me on my cell during the day and gave me updates.... the kids loved it. And my son got to have questioned asked to him and he got to answer them... I am so proud of him and so are his teachers. Again...both kindergarden classes got to see.

Now if I may make a suggestion........... I told the kids if they were well behaved (and I knew they would be) I would make sure they got a great present in the mail..... I ordered a signed set of the new duck books... Not only did they all work together to get a present but they also work together to help out a great cause... The link is below... Have fun
big_smile.png

http://mthollyducksanctuary.com/donations

Back
Top Bottom