Ducklings in laundry room with backdoor access - is this a good idea??

Thank you all! At this point, I would really love to get my ducklings a proper home, even if not with me, but my parents do not even want to consider the idea, considering all the money they shelled out for them. As for the ducklings, it turns out my parents were not at all on board with the idea, forcing me to put them back in their tiny little box covered in their poop, completely defeating the point of moving them downstairs... I tried putting them in the garage, but they reacted the same exact way. I might as well move my ducklings back upstairs, considering they're now getting all the cons and allowed none of the pros of being down there, but I'd likely just have to put them back in the balcony, where it's freezing out, their justification being ducks are perfectly fine walking around in the winter. Not at all what I wanted with my ducklings, and I'm sure they won't be very happy either. :(

Sounds like you are writing a death sentence for your ducklings. Please try and convince your parents that for these duckling's health and well being they need to go to someone who can take care of them properly. Are they buying your ducklings proper feed? They are not old enough to be out in freezing temps. They may have put out a lot of money on these ducklings [how much] but that won't matter at all if they die from not being kept warm and safe and fed. Muscovy aren't tiny bantam ducks and doesn't sound like they will be kept where they can grow normally. Are you located in the USA I bet if your parents would agree we could help you find a good home for these ducklings.

One thing you can mention to your parents is that in the wild, yes ducklings roam around in cooler temps and do as they please, but they have their mother with them at all times to oil their feathers, warm them when they're cold, help them find stuff to eat that's consumable, and to help protect them from predators somewhat. Since your ducklings don't have a duck mother, they're not capable of taking care of themselves, especially in the great outdoors. I wish you and your ducklings the very best

Even with a mother duck to warm them wild ducklings often die.

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/duckling-survival

"It takes 50-70 days for ducklings to attain flight status, and survival during this period is highly variable, ranging from less than 10 percent to as high as 70 percent."

Your parents may think they have spent a lot of money on the ducklings, but keeping them will cost a lot more. And if they don't spend quite a bit more money you'll have no ducks anyway. I invested a couple hundred in my brooder set up. Several thousand to predator proof my coop/run. Every few weeks I buy more bedding, about $40. And every couple months more commercial food, about $60. Plus medical expenses, those costs are very real and add up into the tens of thousands. My ducks are pets and not livestock. But even livestock need appropriate food (not bread), shelter, and a brooder for ducklings.

I encourage you to use Nextdoor, Craigslist (do a home visit first), and post in your state thread here to rehome your ducklings and give them the best chance at a good life.

Even with a mother duck to warm them wild ducklings often die.

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/duckling-survival

"It takes 50-70 days for ducklings to attain flight status, and survival during this period is highly variable, ranging from less than 10 percent to as high as 70 percent."

Your parents may think they have spent a lot of money on the ducklings, but keeping them will cost a lot more. And if they don't spend quite a bit more money you'll have no ducks anyway. I invested a couple hundred in my brooder set up. Several thousand to predator proof my coop/run. Every few weeks I buy more bedding, about $40. And every couple months more commercial food, about $60. Plus medical expenses, those costs are very real and add up into the tens of thousands. My ducks are pets and not livestock. But even livestock need appropriate food (not bread), shelter, and a brooder for ducklings.

I encourage you to use Nextdoor, Craigslist (do a home visit first), and post in your state thread here to rehome your ducklings and give them the best chance at a good life.
I agree 100%. My husband jokes about how I've spent more money on my ducks then dogs and he's not wrong. I've spent thousands on my ducks at our old house then we moved and I've had to shell out thousands more turning the new place and barn into a duck safe space.

Back
Top Bottom