Ducklings in the UK

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CallHowe, Sep 6, 2016.

1. CallHowe

CallHowe Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    London
    I am planning on getting two ducklings in a couple of weeks time, one Cayuga and one Welsh Harlequin, although I have been trawling through this forum for about a week now I still have some questions and I would appreciate it if one of you would be kind enough to shed some light on a few things :)

obviously due to the time of year by time the ducklings are 4 - 6 weeks old its going be pretty cold here, what age should is good to let them reside permanently outside?

I'm struggling to locate Duck starter crumbs here in the UK, I have seen some advertised for Ducks and Geese and I think the brand was "Smallholder" or something along those lines, any suggestions on where to find some if this isn't acceptable?

Another thing is that most places say that they are unable to sex the ducklings, I know vent sexing can cause issues so maybe this is why, but i'm worried that I will end up with one drake and one duck, obviously after raising these guys I will not be able to part with them but I think the amout of ducks I can realistically keep is around 4 but two would be much better and obviously buying more would also not guarantee more females and could make the situation worse, any advice?

2. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    When they are fully feathered, and their flight feathers are starting to grow, they can withstand colder weather then, even sooner if not to cold. Here in California, I'v never seen duck food for sale, so have always used chick starter and layer pellets for food, just make sure niacin is on the ingredients label.
    For 2 birds your options are male and female or 2 males or 2 females. If you want eggs get females, if you want ducklings get a pair. 2 male ducks might get along ok, hopefully they wouldn't be fighting each other.

3. CallHowe

CallHowe Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    London
    Thank you for your reply, yeah I got some brewers yeast to put with non medicated chick crumbs if this is ok?

I had heard that one drake to one duck would be too much for the duck to handle? maybe I'm thinking too much into it! :)

turns out no one is hatching any more ducklings this year as far as I can tell now anyway so it looks like I will have to wait until february which is a shame but if that's how it is I will just have to wait for the little balls of fluff!

4. CallHowe

CallHowe Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    London
    Thank you, I have purchased some brewers yeast to add to the non medicated chick crumbs I will be using, ah I see, I thought that one drake to one female duck might cause some issues if he tried mating excessively.

As it turns out I can't actually find any people that are still incubating duck eggs this year and I've been told I will have to wait until February which is unfortunate, I wanted balls of Fluff for halloween! :)

5. CallHowe

CallHowe Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    London
    sorry for the double post, didn't realise they were moderated and when I didn't see the first post I just replied again.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. CallHowe

CallHowe Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    London
    Thank you those links are very helpful, I have read about the ducklings high demand for Niacin, and purchased Brewers yeast unless you think plain niacin would be better? I can probably track some down for use in their water :)

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I lean toward using Brewer's yeast, as it has more than just niacin in it, and from some things I have read, I think thiamine may also be a good idea.

Then there are the B-complex vitamins. I would use the amount of niacin as a guideline - 150 mg per gallon of drinking water.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by