Ducklings in winter

thedeekgeek2

Hatching
Jan 4, 2016
so my one female laid a clutch of eggs not to long ago and well they hatched on December 31, 2015. It's getting cold here in NJ (20-50F) and I'm not sure what to do with them. The mother duck left two behind which I was able to rescue but there are three more with her. She nor my goose will let me near the remaining ducklings. Should I leave the ducklings with her or try to get them and bring them in?

so my one female laid a clutch of eggs not to long ago and well they hatched on December 31, 2015. It's getting cold here in NJ (20-50F) and I'm not sure what to do with them. The mother duck left two behind which I was able to rescue but there are three more with her. She nor my goose will let me near the remaining ducklings. Should I leave the ducklings with her or try to get them and bring them in?
@thedeekgeek2 Your taking a chance if your getting temps like us here in NC mountains for the next 3 days temps in teens over night and highs in the low 30's. Mama ducks just don't keep their ducklings under them like chicken hens do.. Just remember once you bring them inside she won't take them back but they may live and not freeze to death. What about bringing mom and ducklings inside to a cool room?

Last edited:
@thedeekgeek2 Your taking a chance if your getting temps like us here in NC mountains for the next 3 days temps in teens over night and highs in the low 30's. Mama ducks just don't keep their ducklings under them like chicken hens do.. Just remember once you bring them inside she won't take them back but they may live and not freeze to death. What about bringing mom and ducklings inside to a cool room?
X2 - I am always the guy that says, "ducks can handle the cold", but ducklings can't... Until they are fully feathered, they can't handle much below 50-60 even with mom (at least not reliably). I would fight the goose and try to do as Miss Lydia says. If momma won't come, you will have to brood the ducklings yourself and you might need a heat lamp depending on how warm your house is. If you can get momma to come, I don't think you would need the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom