Ducklings legs are turning inward

fivetinyfish10

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2018
I need advice. I got a jumbo pekin duckling with some Cayuga.
She’s 4 weeks, I got her at 3 weeks. Apparently she had been living with some chicks, so I assumed niacin deficiency. It’s been 3 days on brewers yeast. I’m still seeing her lie down a lot, her legs are turned inward….im just so worried. She’s become very attached to my daughter and I, and I’m very fond of her already. (Softie for Pekins).
Can we see any hock joint issues or things I need to address or do other than the brewers yeast?

Attachments

• IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8575.jpeg
    IMG_8575.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 3
Brewers yeast is good at preventing niacin deficiency but it isn’t always enough when issues are already present. Instead, if possible, get injectable vitamin B complex.
FDC0B593-4D54-4A2D-BFE3-DF6D85FC8973.jpeg

Also get some syringes. Don’t worry, you are not going to inject it. Instead, withdraw 1mL and squirt it on a treat. Dry mealworms work great. Then, feed it to her. It may take a week before you notice a difference. I would also be sure she gets lots of swim time. Swimming will strengthen her leg muscles while not having to bear weight. Good luck!

Last edited:
Brewers yeast is good at preventing niacin deficiency but it isn’t always enough when issues are already present. Instead, if possible, get injectable vitamin B complex.
View attachment 3844898
Also get some syringes. Don’t worry, you are not going to inject it. Instead, withdraw 1mL and squirt it on a treat. Dry mealworms work great. Then, feed it to her. It may take a week before you notice a difference. I would also be sure she gets lots of swim time. Swimming will strengthen her leg muscles while not having to beat weight. Good luck!
Oh thank you so much! I’m going to go get this as soon as tractor supply opens!

Back
Top Bottom