Ducklings losing wing feathers - pecking problem?

marsar2020

Hatching
Apr 19, 2020
Hello- I’m looking for help with ducklings here - I realize this is chicken forum but thought would be similar enough?
First time duck raiser here - we have 6 - almost 5 week old mallards. I’ve noticed past day or so one ducklings wing feathers are almost bare on both sides. My daughter who tends them most says she thinks she saw other ducklings pecking / picking on him lately. My question is should I intervene somehow ? Will they grow back ? They will be moving to their permanent duck house this week and will have a lot more room. Any advice appreciated here. I will add picture here too. Thanks

Attachments

• 781F2545-1B70-4828-A9A6-A909FF6E1431.jpeg
    781F2545-1B70-4828-A9A6-A909FF6E1431.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 70
I have three Pekins, and the same thing happened to mine last week. First time duck mama here, too. I posted a thread on this forum and most everyone said to wait it out and see if it continues happening. I moved mine from the brooder to the coop/outside, and it seemed to stop because they had more space.

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me can help you out more with this, but that was just my experience! ☺️

Thank you for your reply. I think I will separate 2 of them from the rest today (the 2 who seem the most meek and mild and not picking/pecking and don't want one to be all alone) bc his wing looks even worse this am now ): Until I can get them moved to their more spacious digs I think this is what I need to do....

Thank you for your reply. I think I will separate 2 of them from the rest today (the 2 who seem the most meek and mild and not picking/pecking and don't want one to be all alone) bc his wing looks even worse this am now ): Until I can get them moved to their more spacious digs I think this is what I need to do....
@MasterOfClucker @Miss Lydia maybe able to give you some more solid advice, they have been super helpful for me!

Thanks,
I talked to gal at my local feed store who is somewhat versed in poultry and she advised a first aid antiseptic spray to wounds for while then separate them and apply "pick no more lotion" before reintroduce them to rest of the group

Where are the bare spots, I only see pin feathers coming on the wing which is normal, are they pulling the pin feathers out or is she just losing feathers around the wing. Have you seen the other duckling physically ripping feathers out?

Maybe normal then ? It’s weird this guy looks so different than rest although I do see now some of others are losing some too - have seen others peck at spots but not actually pull them out - here is another picture

Attachments

• 8B2A133A-AC7F-492D-91D5-A95E56D563F4.jpeg
    8B2A133A-AC7F-492D-91D5-A95E56D563F4.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 28
Maybe normal then ? It’s weird this guy looks so different than rest although I do see now some of others are losing some too - have seen others peck at spots but not actually pull them out - here is another picture

Looks normal to me, as they age they will lose their baby feathers and start growing adult feathers which is what you are seeing coming in right now.

Back
Top Bottom