Ducklings making a “phtt” noise - should I be concerned?

Mrsg1015

Chirping
Apr 8, 2018
Hi everyone, I have 4 Cayuga ducklings, 6 days old and have 2 of them making this “phtt” noise (like they are blowing air out their nostrils). Usually after drinking, but have heard it when they are away from water. Not sure if it’s a sneeze? Should I be concerned and get them to a vet? Thanks. First time having ducklings.

image.jpg

Can they get their heads in the drinker enough to cover their nostrils with water? It sounds like they could be trying to clear them but the water isn't deep enough, ideally they need to get their eyes in there too.
Have a search for 'duck waterer' up top as there are lots of posts with people sharing how they provide deep enough water for the ducklings without the mess of water being constantly thrown around the brooder!
And :welcome

Can they get their heads in the drinker enough to cover their nostrils with water? It sounds like they could be trying to clear them but the water isn't deep enough, ideally they need to get their eyes in there too.
Have a search for 'duck waterer' up top as there are lots of posts with people sharing how they provide deep enough water for the ducklings without the mess of water being constantly thrown around the brooder!
And :welcome
Thank you for the advice - we changed it to a milk carton with holes cut out - when we get back this afternoon, we let them take a little swim in our tub - warm water, only about couple inches of water and maybe put towel in the water so they can take a break if they need it.

I’m trying to upload a video, but it’s either too large or I don’t have an extension?

Back
Top Bottom