Ducklings & Mama heat pad

Vyne

Chirping
Oct 7, 2018
New Zealand
Hi everyone, I have read through so many posts about constuction and use of these alternatives to heatlamps but have not seen a post about ducklings that will not go under it.
When my bulb blew for my heatlamp I decided to construct a mama heat pad.

After getting the height and temprature right I introduced it to my 6 day old ducklings... They were not impressed, I put the 6 of them under and they stayed there for a little bit but then proceeded to get out and hop on top:he. I thought maybe it was too warm under there but it was only 85 that with the ducks heat would surely not be too hot (but certainly warmer than the top).
The temprature here has been fluctating from 60 -70 but will drop to around 42 at night. If we have the heating on it sits around 75 constantly.

It didn't seem to matter what temp during the day the ducks were happy ontop (not piled ontop of one another either). Last night I shoved them under the heat pad before I turned off all the lights and went to bed. I was convinced I could wake up to dead ducklings (because it got down to under 40) I snuck in at 2am, 4am and 6am they were happily still in there:ya. But from about 7am they have not gone in there since (but love being idiots jumping up and down it):rolleyes:... I am just worried that unless I actually put them under the heat they will freeze to death... I really do not want to use a heat lamp if I can avoid It, and this heat pad is showing a good temp. Do I just have stupid ducklings? Or they just really don't like it that much? :confused:
Hoping I can find someone who has overcome a similar issue :).

Attachments

• 20181014_081845.jpg
    20181014_081845.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 73
I sorta of dealt with this. I used a woolly hen with a hot water bottle. Once my duckies were about 2 weeks they didn't want to go into it any more. I tried putting them in every night, but they would only stay in for a couple hours, even when it was really cold.
So I just let them be. Turns out they were fine. They knew it was to warm for them.
They feathered out pretty fast too.

The pekin x muscovies i had were so cold they were dog piled till they were 4 weeks old!
My pekins were never cold and only had heat for 2 weeks
My silver appleyard loved heat for about 3 weeks

There all a little different but always regulated heat their own way by getting closer or further from the heat source!

Exactly. Their heat requirements differ from chicks, and they’ll most likely be off all heat a lot sooner than you’d expect. If they are active and snoozing on top, you should be golden. Remember that climbing on Mama Duck is pretty normal behavior....how many times do we see photos of a mother duck in the water with her ducklings riding on her back?

I was so interested in the Mama Heating Pad idea, that I am trying it for my new ducks, and they only stayed inside one night. By the second night (three day old ducks?) they were just hanging out on top, even after their daily "swim". I too was thinking they'd be too cold, but they seem happy happy happy.

Back
Top Bottom