Ducklings Now?

MysticalMom

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
I have noticed some of you getting new ducklings, hatching some and/or waiting for some to hatch and I just had a quick question. Being so late in the year, what do you do with them over the winter? Say they hatched today it would be like December before they were fully feathered or ready to go outside. So it's ok to take them out of the brooder and put them right outside when it's so cold? I'm just wondering because I wanted some Metzer's Runners and a few Toulouse Geese and I decided to wait until spring for that very reason. I'm waiting anyway at this point, (couldn't get the geese this late anyway) but I guess I would have been fine in going ahead and getting them?

Smart choice to wait. They are fully feathered at 12 weeks, but still lack some downs and fat for insulation at that time. That's why I always tell people to think 4 months ahead. Sure you get a head start for egg laying, but how do deal with the babies in winter? Don't do it, if you cannot keep them warm. Also they develop less muscle tissue without the exercise, which is so important while they grow. I personal think it is best to wait. Learn and plan in Winter about their health care and housing needs. That way you are ready in spring. Also you can bond nicely when it is warm, by just sitting outside with them.

Thank you Katharinad. I'm glad I waited then. But now I can't wait for spring.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ever heard of the SOUTH?

I can hatch any birds any time of the year and after brooding period place them with other birds outdoors for good.

I was a huge fan of summer ducklings. Free heat. Had the ducklets outside the entire time in a large dog kennel and only needed a light on for them at night to keep them warm. If we ever get more, I'll probably do another summer raising.

P.S. I know I said I wouldn't EVER brood anymore ducks... but I swear.. this duck thing is like a sickness. And now Geese too. I think I need a 12 step program.
tongue.png

Wow. Of course I've heard of the South pascopol.
hmm.png
Duh.
roll.png
But I am not in the south now( even though I was raised in Louisiana) and I have seen people further north than me here in Maryland getting new ducklings etc now. Sure you can raise ducklings year round in the south with no "warmth problem". And though I know some of you Southerners like to think yours is the only place on earth... it's not.
tongue.png

TLWR. I know! I like brooding in the summer too. No messy bedroom brooder, straight to the brooder in the garage with Mother Nature to thank for the free heat source.
wink.png

Quote:
Well, if you want to raise birds years around South IS the only place to do so, it is also the only place on earth for many other reasons, just like for most NY dwellers NY City is the only place on earth worth to live in.

Nothing wrong with either attitude.

If you ask why people are buying ducks now when winter is coming, there is your answer

smile.png

Quote:
Well, if you want to raise birds years around South IS the only place to do so, it is also the only place on earth for many other reasons, just like for most NY dwellers NY City is the only place on earth worth to live in.

Nothing wrong with either attitude.

If you ask why people are buying ducks now when winter is coming, there is your answer

smile.png

It never gets below like 65 F here lol....

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with that attitude. I was trying to make a joke.
wink.png
I'm just not so good at it apparently.
sad.png
I am not lucky enough to live down south where its always warm.
hmm.png
Our winters here in Southern Maryland usually aren't that bad. Never gets colder than maybe 30 degrees. Usually we have very little snow although last year we did have a good blizzard that dumped more than 2 feet on us. ( Boy I hope that doesnt happen gain any time soon. Not fun when you're a 1/2 a mile of uphill dirt road back from any paved road. When we are snowed in by that much we're really snowed in) No, I guess it's good I waited. Even if I do want them NOW.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom