Ducklings on floating duck house

Y master

Chirping
Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone,
So I have a few questions about getting ducks to hatch their own eggs.

It’s the start of spring here and my one of my silver appleyard ducks have started laying her fertile eggs in the corner of our floating duck house (they live on a dam). She’s made a bit of a nest and there are five eggs in the nest, I took four eggs out a week ago when she had just started laying and then realised that she might start sitting if I leave them. Will she start sitting, if so when? And would there be any problems with her raising her ducklings on a small floating duck house?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
So I have a few questions about getting ducks to hatch their own eggs.

It’s the start of spring here and my one of my silver appleyard ducks have started laying her fertile eggs in the corner of our floating duck house (they live on a dam). She’s made a bit of a nest and there are five eggs in the nest, I took four eggs out a week ago when she had just started laying and then realised that she might start sitting if I leave them. Will she start sitting, if so when? And would there be any problems with her raising her ducklings on a small floating duck house?

Thanks!
@WVduckchick might have a few pointers for you for my broody chicken get that way once they see a large enough clutch, so I suspect you are on the right track of thinking clutch size matters.

Photos of your housing for them would be a big help.

@WVduckchick might have a few pointers for you for my broody chicken get that way once they see a large enough clutch, so I suspect you are on the right track of thinking clutch size matters.

Photos of your housing for them would be a big help.

Ok here’s some photos of their house and the nest:
(They can go in and out freely and I never lock it and i pull it in to feed them as we have problems with foxes)
A10AEAC7-6BED-48AC-A561-BB44063D995B.jpeg

9261763E-E369-4CEF-AB2A-1DBDC7F2296E.jpeg
E3CB741C-2794-4452-81D3-4B7EDA5452C6.jpeg

I would let her be she will build her clutch, until she starts sitting on them for more time they shouldn't start incubating. when was raising my other flock at my friends they started at anywhere from 6-15 each duck will do it differently, just let her be, spring is when they are most likely to brood. Your set up is great , but just before they hatch would make it so the ducklings cannot get out the door until momma is ready to get off the nest, my friend had 5 drowned that hatched first cause momma wasn't done hatching but they wanted in the water then couldn't get back out and momma wouldn't leave the nest.

Just an update, she has started to sit on her nest and is being very protective of her nest!!

Back
Top Bottom