Ducklings on the move!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Jun 3, 2010.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I now have 18 little ducklings, quickly it going to get crowed in there so when can i move the ducklings and their mother in with the other women and the drake. they are 5 days old and the run is very safe, so what do people think?

2. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

i would keep them seperate until the ducklings are older, the other ducks and the drake might pick on them

~ alanna

3. JoshSnape

How old do you think, the thing is i am off this week and would be able to moniter them, i would not be able to when at work. And i dont know how long th little run will surfis them. when they could be in a 12 by 12 square run.

4. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

hmm are you able to monitor them from 2 weekends from now they should be ok...as for the cage...i think it will be able to hold them

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    can you temporarily fence off part of the big kids' run and move the little guys in there?

6. JoshSnape

no not really, just need to know what age they need be before they can go with the adults.

7. JoshSnape

does anyone else know anything more?

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:I don't merge my ducklings in with the adults until they're around 2 months old - but I'm CRAZY over-protective. [​IMG]

9. JoshSnape

I cant really wait that long, they have doubled in size since hatching so, what age can they mix, would it be about like 2-3weeks.

10. Happycheese

Happycheese Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    I guess I'm really lucky, my drake doesn't pick on the hen's ducklings unless they try to jump in the pool with him. and even then, he just nips them on the butt so they get out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by