Ducklings on the way!!

Hi!
I'll post pictures of them tomorrow but I had a question about one of them,
The runt (which was the round egg) has hatched but I noticed her head is pretty tiny..
Shes quite fluffed up now but her head is still tiny and it makes her look funny but I wanted to know if she'll be fine.
I'll post pictures of her tomorrow.

Put up some pictures so we can see. How is the little one doing this morning?
1686137773822.png Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.44.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.44.31 AM.png Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.44.25 AM.png Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.44.16 AM.png

As you can tell, the pictures aren't the best.
Her head still looks pretty small but there is a small part on her head that isn't totally dry and fluffed up yet.
Me and my friend are going to be taking some pictures of them more towards the afternoon so I'll post more pictures then.

Puma is the runt and the darkest one and the lighter one in the photos above is Tokki which is the biggest duckling.

They are all doing well. They can walk well and one has already pooed! I saw one of them eating earlier and they all know where the water is. They are having quite the time exploring their brooder.

The other two did hatch last night and they are still drying off so they'll be going in the brooder soon.

To me and of course not being there doesn't help but the duckling doesn't look like the head is overly small. Lets see how the pics are this afternoon. Since they are Calls everything about them is tiny anyway.

@WVduckchick
Agreed.
I think it's just because she is the runt as she was the one that came out of the rounder egg.

Lol hi again!
So turns out we have two runts, Pika and Puma.
I've shown the ducklings where their food and water is (I dipped their beaks in the water and they all took a sip before going back under the heat plate) but I noticed Pika didn't drink any water.
I also noticed Pika seems a bit weak and tired (Pika was the one that was shrink wrapped and the one that had the little accident with Newt) so I decided to give her some sugar water but even though I dipped her beak in it a few times, it doesn't look like shes drinking.

It was 11pm when she was half way out of the egg, not sure when she fully got out but when I checked her at 6am this morning she wasn't very dry so I assume she had just hatched sometime this morning before 6am.
Maybe shes just very tired but I'm worried about her not drinking.

Do you have any nutri drench or poultry cell? You could give her a couple drops. if she hatched this morning she isn't going to be hungry or thirsty since she is getting what she needs through the yolk she absorbed. I'd wait till later today though hatching is hard work for sure.

Do you have any nutri drench or poultry cell? You could give her a couple drops. if she hatched this morning she isn't going to be hungry or thirsty since she is getting what she needs through the yolk she absorbed. I'd wait till later today though hatching is hard work for sure.
No I don't have either of those on me at the moment.
I'll wait til later and see how shes doing though.

So I'm still worried about Pika.
She still seems pretty weak.
I helped her drink some water but shes moving not as fast as the others and she seems to have trouble holding herself up (she stumbles a lot).
She used to just sleep under the heat plate (she always laid her head down while the others rest their heads on each other. The other ducklings did sleep with her but she was usually on the side and they are kinda bullying her and she just stands there and doesn't really move)

Right now is the first time she moved from under the heat plate, I think she wanted to explore with her siblings but now shes back under the heat plate trying to keep herself up but she seems to be falling asleep.
I'm quite worried, I really want her to make it.

Back
Top Bottom