Ducklings one day old--Welsh Harlequins!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by firsthouse_mp, Mar 8, 2011.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Songster

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    These one day olds are just about the cutest thing ever! I got them from a friend of mine who ordered through Metzer. I have chickens but have never had ducks and am excited at raising these two sweet (hopefully) girls. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One has a darker head with lighter beak and one has a lighter head with a darker beak. They have been eating and drinking voraciously!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think my kids have named them Harley and Quinn.....perfect for Harlequins [​IMG]
    I didn't take the leg ID off, but think I will tomorrow--just didn't want to traumatize them any more than necessary today. Was trying to make sure they ate and drank to stay strong: first things first, right?
    If you own a WH, please post a pic of them so I can show my kids what grown up gals look like!

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
  3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    [​IMG] so cute!

If they both have brown bands they are girls. That's what mine had last week, and that was how we were able to figure out what sex the missing duckling was. Metzer's failed to send me my drake. He should be here with another duck at 3AM. They grow fast so make sure you take those bands off.

Oh, you can search Peanut and Cookie to see pics of them.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Love the names... I breed harlequin coloured Indian Runners- and did have some named Harley and Quinn as well..Mine were both boys though...but from the colour- Yours do look more like girls....and of course are very cute.

5. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Did you get them sexed? In the first pic they have leg bands on, and if you got them from metzers, that would make them girls (Boys= Purple, Girls= Brown). [​IMG]

6. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Songster

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    Nothin' in the world cuter than a baby duck!

I think the arrival of a baby duck is the only thing that would make me want to get up at 3 am!

7. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are so cute... and become such beautiful ducks. If I could have more duck those would be my choice.

8. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    soooo cute! your pics are making me even more impatient for my ducklings to arrive!

9. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Songster

Jan 24, 2010
    you only have to wait a few more hours....I have to wait till March 28 when they hatch...then they have to fly here......So I've to longer to wait..........and it is killing me [​IMG]

10. MissusDee

MissusDee Chirping

Feb 7, 2011
    so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: