Ducklings outdoors

ducklings5405

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
I want my ducklings to move outdoors ASAP because they get cabin fever inside and there’s so much cleaning to do. They are just over 2 weeks old and have grown quite big. I know technically I should wait until they’re 8 weeks but can I gradually get them outdoors sooner? For example live outside at day and inside at night. I could also leave their heat lamp outdoors with them in their house. What’s the soonest I can let them live outdoors safely?

Your location and night time temps would have to be known to answer the question. I moved our last batch out on Saturday, a few days short of three weeks. The plan was to just leave them there for the day. They enjoyed it so much I just left them out in their house. Our daytime temps are 90-100 and nights, until last night were mostly in the 70's. It was taking a chance but they were all doing good this morning at 61. That was a few degrees cooler than forcaste.

I have 21 ducklings and moved them into their house at 4 weeks. Night temps in the coop got down to 46, day temps in the 70s, all still happy and healthy. I made sure to give them a cushioned box inside their house with material for them to snuggle into. They also have each other for heat. We were super anxious the first 3 nights but it had to be done.

I brooded past two weeks using the mama heat pad method in a small coop (converted dog house). They did GREAT and temps were in the 40s at night at the time. During the day I would open their door to a small attached run within the main duck run and they would go back and forth regulating as needed. It was so much better for everyone involved than my previous bathtub/kiddie pool brooding!

Oh edit to add: these ducklings are definitely less attached to us than the indoor brooded ones, so that’s something to keep in mind. I prefer it like this honestly, it was stressful having my first set cry every time I left their sight.

I technically moved mine outside after 4 days because I couldn't stand having them in the house. I had a heating pad and a heat lamp, but they grew so fast and really had no interest in being anywhere near it that I stopped using it. They went outside proper at 4 weeks, and have been just fine, but it's been hot--90s in the day and 70s at night.....

Your location and night time temps would have to be known to answer the question. I moved our last batch out on Saturday, a few days short of three weeks. The plan was to just leave them there for the day. They enjoyed it so much I just left them out in their house. Our daytime temps are 90-100 and nights, until last night were mostly in the 70's. It was taking a chance but they were all doing good this morning at 61. That was a few degrees cooler than forcaste.
thanks for the help, my daytime temperature is around 65F and nighttime 52F. That’s almost the hottest it will get all year round in my country. Maximum 77 mid summer.

I brooded past two weeks using the mama heat pad method in a small coop (converted dog house). They did GREAT and temps were in the 40s at night at the time. During the day I would open their door to a small attached run within the main duck run and they would go back and forth regulating as needed. It was so much better for everyone involved than my previous bathtub/kiddie pool brooding!

Oh edit to add: these ducklings are definitely less attached to us than the indoor brooded ones, so that’s something to keep in mind. I prefer it like this honestly, it was stressful having my first set cry every time I left their sight.
Thanks for that!

I technically moved mine outside after 4 days because I couldn't stand having them in the house. I had a heating pad and a heat lamp, but they grew so fast and really had no interest in being anywhere near it that I stopped using it. They went outside proper at 4 weeks, and have been just fine, but it's been hot--90s in the day and 70s at night.....
Definitely hotter than where I am🤔I’ll probably let them live outside at daytime at week 3/4 to see how they adapt.

I love mine by 4 weeks as long as it's warm. That's as long as I can stand the stinky. If your nights are cooler, just make sure they gave a heat source outside till 4 weeks and gradually wean them off. I have two week olds that never had a heat source but it gets hot here.
Good advice, thanks

Back
Top Bottom