Ducklings Over eating

TammyC

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
Hi all, I have a question.. As some may know I hatched 13 ducks about 2 weeks ago and have found new homes for all but 5.. Well today we feed the remaining like we always do and they over ate.. There neck was so huge and they acted like they were chocking.. Also right below the neck, not sure what thats called, was so big the skin looked really tight.. They were drooling, and stuff was hanging from there mouths.. Has anyone else gone through this? Is it normal for them to eat like that? Next time I am only feeding them half of what I did tonight.. My poor babies looked so miserable and I felt so bad for them.. They are now sleeping..

Ducklings will stuff themselves sometimes. I once knew a wild duck that did this with bread and he ate so much he couldn't stand or swim properly. It's a good idea cutting down on the food, like you said, so that they don't get sick or choke.

Omg, I had no idea. Mine would stop and I could.sometimes go back hours later and still find food and the ducks swimming in the pond.

Do you give them food with water 24/7? Or do you have set feeding times? And I assume you have drinking water for them all the time, right?

I keep food available at all times with my runners and they don't ever seem to overeat from their pan. Now, when it comes to worms and slugs . . .

Sieben looks strange sometimes when she eats loads of bugs and such - her "tummy" gets big and hangs down a bit. The first time I noticed that I was quite concerned!

Were the food containers empty when you went to feed them? Ducklings of that age should have free access to food for most of the day/ night. It allows them to eat many small meals throughout the day rather than gorge themselves as yours have. You can feed them half what you did this time- but add an extra feed time into the day somewhere else or they may not be getting enough.

Last edited:
Yes they have water 24-7... And I would feed them 3 times a day.... I will add more, smaller meals in throughout the day....

I have ducklings 6 wks old and chicks 5 wks old...starter food is always available 24/7 with lots of fresh water (I change it 5-6 times a day since the ducks get it so dirty). I had one duckling act like she was strangling...I picked her up and massaged her neck...obviously she got something stuck. The blockage cleared immediately and she was fine...took off running to her nest. Scared the heck out of me though!

Quote:
I bet, glad she is okay. and you can sprinkle some grit on the floor of the brooder so if they want or need so it's available, chick size grit. unless 6 weeks old then they can handle larger grit.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom