Ducklings want to kill!

Black-Teacup

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Idaho-ish
My two two-week-old ducklings very strongly would like to evict my new gosling (who is, at a guess, maybe a week?) they both get the angry neck wiggle going and strike at the poor new kid :( can't tell if it's jealousy, or maybe just being territorial because "nO THAT IS MY MOM NOT YOURS!"

Will this taper off, I hope? I only bought one gosling as I only needed one as a buddy for my adult goose, so I figured that my 'lings would keep them happy.

I suppose if push came to shove, I could section off part of the brooder for the gosling...

(Posting this here because I had no clue whether to put it in geese or ducks, lol)

I would section off an area for your gosling to prevent injury or death. Hopefully things will improve over time,
fl.gif

How long has the gosling been with the ducklings?

I can't really keep them in with the ducklings for very long. Once one notices them, the other will and they both jump the poor kid :( I can usually have them together for two minute intervals before the ducklings figure it out.
I only just got the gosling today, so I might be jumping the proverbial gun with my worry here LOL.

I would wait it out..:)....These are all babies..:)...The chances of them killing the gosling is very low...The Ducklings are just scared of the new intruder..lol...You can use some Chicken wire to separate them..They can look at each other without being scared....:)...It will only take a couple if days....

Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

Is the size difference pretty big?
2 week old ducklings... shouldnt really be a whole lot bigger than a week old gosling.
I would try letting them in the bathtub together with some treats- grass or mashed up peas...
they may all join in eating and swimming and forget about the new comer.
I mixed ducklings who were a week apart with no problem.
If you have to seperate, i would get the gosling its own friend. They dont do well alone

Is the size difference pretty big?
2 week old ducklings... shouldnt really be a whole lot bigger than a week old gosling.
I would try letting them in the bathtub together with some treats- grass or mashed up peas...
they may all join in eating and swimming and forget about the new comer.
I mixed ducklings who were a week apart with no problem.
If you have to seperate, i would get the gosling its own friend. They dont do well alone

They're all about the same size. The ducklings have weight on the gosling, but he's larger overall.
If he isn't getting along with the ducks by tonight, I'm going to find him a buddy.

(Also, the new kid doesn't seem too hot on swimming? I plunked him in the tub to clean off the feed-store guck, and he wailed until I plucked him out)

They're all about the same size. The ducklings have weight on the gosling, but he's larger overall.
If he isn't getting along with the ducks by tonight, I'm going to find him a buddy.

(Also, the new kid doesn't seem too hot on swimming? I plunked him in the tub to clean off the feed-store guck, and he wailed until I plucked him out)

Aww.. thats good that if things still dont go well you can get him a buddy. Maybe some distracted tome out on the floor out of the brooder, and maybe they will be to busy to pick on the gosling

My ducks are adults but now are fighting with just one. They are all drakes. I have to keep him seperate from the other two but he just seems so bored and lost without them. One of the bullies is his sibling and the other we got last year. The one we keep seperate started the fights a few months ago but now seems to just want to be with the others. I guess they havent forgiven him yet..lol. My question is will they ever get along again and if not I would have to give the other two to a new home so how would I keep him entertained alone?

My ducks are adults but now are fighting with just one. They are all drakes. I have to keep him seperate from the other two but he just seems so bored and lost without them. One of the bullies is his sibling and the other we got last year. The one we keep seperate started the fights a few months ago but now seems to just want to be with the others. I guess they havent forgiven him yet..lol. My question is will they ever get along again and if not I would have to give the other two to a new home so how would I keep him entertained alone?

I would get a few females for the male you want to keep. And sell the others. I wouldnt keep a single duck. They really need the company of another
But if you only keep one female she could be over bred by the male and end up injured/killed.
Drakes fight alot. And can also injure/ kill

Back
Top Bottom