duckling's wing is bleeding!!!

mhopson19

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Central Illinois
I have 6 chicks and 2 ducklings together. I got the 3 week old ducklings out for a bath, dryer them off, and put them back in the coop. I went back out an hour later to let them out for playtime and I noticed one of the ducklings sitting in the corner with dried blood on his wing. I can't see any open skin that the blood would have come from, is it possible it is coming from the wing tips? Would the chics attack a duck? I gave him some electrolyte water and brought him in the house. Should I seperate the ducks and chicks? Should I put anything on his wing? I am freaking out.

Could this be self inflicted? He also had dried blood on the top of his beak.

Your duckling probably injured a blood feather, and in doing so the chicks will peck at it, possibly even your other duckling. They grow them in as their feathering, and breaking one off completely can bleed a LOT...if you can't find the bleeding that's a good thing, it means it's not too bad....the shafts of the feathers are fragile when they're coming in. Try letting your duckling have a swim to clean itself off, and watch to see if he/she's being pecked by the others. Personally I wouldn't keep the chicks and ducklings together, but that's my personal preference, other may choose to keep them together.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and gave him some electrolyte water and let him have another swim. Then i wrapped him in a towel and he hung out with me in the house for about an hour until he got hungry and then i put him back with the chicks and other duckling. I watched for about a half hour and there was no pecking. I just went back and checked on them and he is still fine, so I think he injured a feather while grooming after his first swim today and the chicks just made it worse by pecking at it because it was bloody. I think he is fine, though. But should i put anything on that feather (I think it is the very last one, on his left wing, it was bloodier and looked like it had a clot at the end) to protect it from infection or from starting to bleed again, or will it be fine on its own?

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and gave him some electrolyte water and let him have another swim. Then i wrapped him in a towel and he hung out with me in the house for about an hour until he got hungry and then i put him back with the chicks and other duckling. I watched for about a half hour and there was no pecking. I just went back and checked on them and he is still fine, so I think he injured a feather while grooming after his first swim today and the chicks just made it worse by pecking at it because it was bloody. I think he is fine, though. But should i put anything on that feather (I think it is the very last one, on his left wing, it was bloodier and looked like it had a clot at the end) to protect it from infection or from starting to bleed again, or will it be fine on its own?
I'd put a dab of antibiotic ointment to help prevent infection, aside from that it should be fine where it's already clotted. As long as it doesn't get injured again and the chicks get at it, your baby should be fine
smile.png

Thanks. I will be keeping a close eye on him and if any more bleeding starts I guess I will have to set the brooder back up in the house for him to go into. Glad it's nothing major!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom