Ducklings with deformed feet?? Help please

Oct 13, 2023
I hatched some of my friends call duck eggs and 2 of them were malpositioned in their eggs they both need help to hatch (as calls do but these were really malpositioned or the worst I have seen) and when they hatched their feet where pointing towards the other foot, hiccups left foot is wonky and Peaches right foot is wonky
They hatched on Thursday so 3 days old today
We are tapeing their feet to help open them but they still pointing the wrong way, their feet are more open than in the pictures
Here are some pictures of the babys Wonky feet
This is hiccup, he walks on the right part of the foot it is just pointing the wrong way
20240502_160735.jpg
20240503_090907.jpg
And this is peach, she walks on the side of the toe that points forwards but when taped she walks on the right part but the foot points the wrong way 20240503_090914.jpg is it a deformity and any ideas on how to make the foot turn the right way?
Thanks, I can get more pictures if wanted

Thanks
I have been talking to wvduckchick and she said she didn't know but maybe shawluvsbirds can help
Have you tried placing the legs into some nice warm water just to see if the legs will relax enough you might could splint them? Just tossing out thoughts.

I think you're going to need to tape those feet. Do you have bandaids?
Yes I have bandaids but I was not sure how to straighten their feet with them
Have you tried placing the legs into some nice warm water just to see if the legs will relax enough you might could splint them? Just tossing out thoughts.
They love to swim but it doesn't seem to relax them
I can straighten their feet but they won't stay their

Yes I have bandaids but I was not sure how to straighten their feet with them

They love to swim but it doesn't seem to relax them
I can straighten their feet but they won't stay their
There are splints you can buy My pet chicken I believe sells them. If you can straighten the feet maybe suing the splints would keep them in the proper place only thing is you'd need to do it ASAP they grow so dog gone fast.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes

I have never had one with feet pointing the wrong way. I have had one where it's feet were curled and wouldn't stay open. I cut little thin cardboard pieces and taped them open with medical tape.
Maybe you could try something like that. I would remove it daily and retape it. I'm not sure if you can correct it or not, but your best chance is now if you're gonna try. It's little bones are still pliable right now, they will stiffin up and be impossible to correct in just a matter of days i would imagine.

There are splints you can buy My pet chicken I believe sells them. If you can straighten the feet maybe suing the splints would keep them in the proper place only thing is you'd need to do it ASAP they grow so dog gone fast.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes
I found some o f those but the closest delivery was not till next week at which point they will have doubled in size and probably not really movable any more (i live in the uk)
I am tapeing them but it does not make the foot straight the foot is more open now but it points towards the other foot and I was not sure how to tape the foot so it is straight
I have never had one with feet pointing the wrong way. I have had one where it's feet were curled and wouldn't stay open. I cut little thin cardboard pieces and taped them open with medical tape.
Maybe you could try something like that. I would remove it daily and retape it. I'm not sure if you can correct it or not, but your best chance is now if you're gonna try. It's little bones are still pliable right now, they will stiffin up and be impossible to correct in just a matter of days i would imagine.
I will try to make splints like the one miss Lydia posted out of cardboard but it may be that they are always like this the good thing is they are calls so they will always be small it would be a problem if they were meat birds and have to carry lots of weight on their wonky feet

I have some terrible news one of my older baby calls (we hatched 4 eggs 2 weeks before these ones) died we put them in the run for the first time yesterday and they were fine a bit scared but fine and then she freaked out just as we were thinking of putting them back in and we think she had a heart attack my dad was mouth to mouthing with her trying to keep her with us and it was working but she just wouldn't breath by herself and then she was gone it was so sudden and scary I really hoped she would be okay and she was a really sweet heath little duckling her name was Lu Lu, I never thought that would happen and now I am scared that something else bad and unexpected will happen
This is lu lu with her friends and the new babys, now it is just 3 big call babys
The one squished between 2 other ducklings is lu lu
20240502_190824.jpg
Will keep you posted on the wonky ducklings
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom