ducklings with red eyes

mlpope89

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Texarkana, Texas
First off thank you very much for responding to my question!
Anyways,I have a duckling with red eyes. I don't believe they where this way yesterday. I do not know what breed the duck is or if it's a drake or hen because I got them from Tractor Supply put of a big bucket. They are also sharing a box with 6 chicks. Could that be part of the problem? the other duck doesn't seem affected at all. All of them are about a week old. I am new to the duck world and just want to know if this is normal or if it's going to be a problem.
I took a picture of it this morning.

Last edited:
Welcome to Duckdom!

Generally speaking, if a duckling is able to rinse its little head frequently with fresh water, eye, sinus and ear problems are reduced.

The trick with ducklings is - because they are waterfowl - they have a special relationship with water
lol.png

This can be a big challenge when they are with chicks, who are much more conservative about water.
wink.png

You may need to split the brooder and have duckie water station on one side with ducklings, and a more chick-oriented side with the chicks.

Also, the ducklings will likely grow more, faster, than the chicks, and bowl the chicks over as they run around. Hmmmm.

For right now, I would place the ducklings in a pan of warm (85˚F) water up to the top of their legs, and keep a close watch - do not look away, because they can get themselves into trouble faster than you can snap your fingers. Give them maybe five minutes. They will know what to do - splash and dunk and frolic, and clean their eyes, nares and ears. Then get them back into a warm, dry, relatively clean brooder. Twice a day.

I think that what you have now is probably an irritation. If it is not treated, though, it could lead to serious infection.

Please read the Sticky on Raising Ducklings. There is a Stickies link at the top of the Duck Forum index, and then a link to Raising Ducklings in that list.

I read the Sticky I didn't realize that your shouldn't let the ducklings get wet I will make sure and fish that and get them a separate box to live in.
Is there anything I can do to prevent it's eye getting worse?

Back
Top Bottom