Ducklings

Broodmaster

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Hi all, not to long ago I inquired about duck breeds to get as pets and now I have three baby ducklings that are 3 weeks old. I am now wondering about when I should give them grit, they currently go out into a play pen in the afternoon while it's warm and eat all sorts of stuff. Also I was wondering when do I clip their wings and how? Also finally I was hoping y'all could tell me what would be a good in-depth book on duck raising and care? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Grit should be provided in a separate dish as soon as they are eating anything other than feed, if they are eating grass it should be provided so the grass doesn't ball up in the gizzard or further down the tract. Once they full have developed their adult feathers you can clip their wings, you would NOT want to clip their wings when young, as the feathers are still developing, and would result in bleeding if the feathers were clipped prematurely. Best all-round book, is Storey guide for raising ducks by David Holdrread.

1588040720355.png

Thank you, sorry for getting back to you so late. I was wondering at what age I should trim their wings. I have 9wks old Buffs and are trying to fly already. If you could help that would be great. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom