Ducklings

Quack head

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Sparta, TN
One of my Silver Appleyards is on the nest, this morning I checked and she had a duckling. Should I do nothing? Should I isolate her from the rest of the Flock for a few weeks? Do I need to put feed and water inside the house? I can't put a fence around her but I do have the house divided into two sections, should I take her and the duckling and move her to the unoccupied side?

All the ducks are free range, but the return to the house several times a day for food and fresh water.

Help!

I’d leave her where she is an give the others the other side. Congrats !! Yes food and a safe waterer by tomorrow at least but mama would probably appreciate some water now. The coffe can make a nice waterer for mama while ducklings are tiny they can’t get into it. The one with the red lid makes a nice one for the tinies I have short an tall bowls for under.
DFED53A9-D1A0-446A-9B8C-5FE9ED9F155C.jpeg
3373E170-C94F-4488-A26B-08A75D85DC40.jpeg

I have been checking, mama has been up. I have water for the duckling (along with food) but it seems mama is drinking it? I put water in a coffee can like suggested next to mama's food. This is the chick's second day and I am not sure she found her food or water. It is placed two feet away from mama? I am attaching two images one of the three ducklings that were hatched in a incubator and doing well, the other is the setup for the mama & duckling. Let me know what you think of the mama & duckling setup.
IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

If possible I’d put babies food an water up closer so the duckling can find it easier? Can you find something to sit the food and water on like an old broiler pan with something under the feed an water to protect feet? It looks good both of them are you thinking of trying to give mama the ones in the brooder?

If possible I’d put babies food an water up closer so the duckling can find it easier? Can you find something to sit the food and water on like an old broiler pan with something under the feed an water to protect feet? It looks good both of them are you thinking of trying to give mama the ones in the brooder?
I checked tonight and the duckling seem to have passed. Not sure what happened, but it wasn't moving and the mama was trying to nudge it with her bill. I will check to be sure in the morning. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom