Ducklings

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
I got ducklings last night and they say they are about two days old. I have searched and searched and read online articles but figured this would be the place to go! Everyone has amazing information on this site.
I need all the information I can about ducklings... what age can they start eating greens? Can you give them chick grit or do they have duck grit when you start giving them greens? I need all the information I can get...
it’s about 60 degrees here and they of course under a light can they have outside time in the grass at this age for how long you think 10-15 minutes how often

You can use chick grit.
make sure they get enough niacin, alot of people say you can have ducklings on chick starters, but most don’t have enough niacin to guarantee proper development.
Also make sure they have water that is deep enough to clean out their nostrils.

I would think the amount of outside time they get will depend on their brooder temp compared to outside temp. I would wait until they are a week or two old to try outside time and of course you will have to supervise them, and they probably won’t be out to long.

im not sure on how early you can give ducklings greens, mine weren’t to interested until they had their adult feathers and had been with the others and saw that the others got excited over greens.

Last edited:
You can give your ducklings greens. You will want to break lettuce up into smaller pieces that they can eat.

Chick grit is perfectly fine for them.

Their food does require so much naicin. Especially depending on the breed. Pekins require more than other breeds. You can add brewers yeast or nutritional yeast to their food. Once they are full grown, they don't require as much naicin anymore. You also want to make sure it is unmedicated feed.

You can definitely take your ducklings outside. I would wait till they are closer to a week. Depending on the temp and the breed, they can be out there for 30 minutes to an hour. You can see when they start getting cold. I would not take them out if it is colder than 60. At 4 weeks of age they can go outside permently if temp does not drop below 60.

You can also give them baths. Just make sure the water is warm. You also either want to make it shallow enough for them to stand in or watch them the whole time. When. They get tired, they can drown. It is hard to just leave them there. They are so cute zooming around in the water.

They grow up super fast so enjoy them as much as you can.

Back
Top Bottom